Assistant Professor of English
Montana State University - Northern
English and Literature
The College of Arts, Sciences, and Education at Montana State University-Northern (MSUN) invites applications for an academic-year (10-month), tenure-track Assistant Professor of English position, anticipated to begin August 1, 2023. The responsibilities of the successful candidate include effectively teaching freshman writing courses, upper division writing courses such as Media Literacy and Public Relations Writing, upper division courses in the candidate’s area of specialization; and may include general education literature courses. Duties also include working collaboratively with faculty and other academic programs to design course content; effectively advising students, continuing the pursuit of scholarly, departmental, and institutional achievement; and engaging in curricular and programmatic design, program assessment, and national and state accreditation preparation.
This position provides support for the university’s general education core for all baccalaureate programs, the Liberal Studies degree, and the college’s secondary education 5-12 English bachelor’s degree.
Effective teaching is the primary mission of this position and MSU-Northern. For more information about this program and MSU-Northern, go to www.msun.edu.
Required Qualifications – Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
- Doctoral degree in English, Media Literacy, Digital Humanities, Technical Writing, or closely related field by August 1, 2023
- Demonstrated expertise teaching freshman composition at the university level
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with the application of technology to enhance teaching and learning
- Demonstrated ability to teach and work collaboratively and effectively with persons from culturally and/or linguistically diverse backgrounds
- Expertise in teaching digital humanities or media literacy
- Experience teaching public relations writing, writing for social media, and/or business writing
- Evidence of student-centered approaches to education
- Demonstrated effective online and/or hybrid teaching
Screening of applications will begin October 4, 2022. Applicants must include a letter addressing each of the required and preferred qualifications noted above, professional and academic career goals, and interest in the position as well as a CV, unofficial transcripts, and the names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of at least three professional references. The online application and materials should be submitted at this site, visit http://www.msun.edu/hr/employment.aspx.
View the brief summary for benefits-eligible faculty at this site, http://www.msun.edu/hr/benefits-f.aspx. Benefits-eligible employees are members of the Montana University System Choices -- the Montana University System's employee benefits program that lets you match our benefits to your individual and family situation.