First Year Experience Coordinator
Farmingdale State College is seeking a coordinator for its newly established First Year Experience (FYE) Program. The successful candidate will be appointed as a full-time Lecturer in the Liberal Arts and Sciences Department, which offers an associate degree program (see above). The coordinator will have both teaching and administrative responsibilities, with a 1-2 (3 credit-6 credit) annual teaching load. The remaining time will be devoted to program administration. The teaching requirement will include FYE courses. The faculty member may also have the option of teaching courses in their academic discipline. This is an 11-month position.
Overseeing the design, delivery, and assessment of Farmingdale First Year Experience courses. Completion of an FYE course, which includes significant Diversity, Equity and Inclusion content, was recently approved as a graduation requirement for first-year students, beginning in 2023. The coordinator role includes:
- Hiring, training and evaluating faculty who teach FYE courses.
- Developing standardized instructional materials for FYE courses.
- Overseeing the delivery of the FYE content, including scheduling classes and faculty assignments.
- Developing comprehensive FYE assessment procedures to ensure consistent, effective instruction that facilitates student reflection, skill development, growth, and learning. Assessment will also address LAS program goals and College retention goals.
- Helping to build a community of practice, and conducting professional development, around issues of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Social Justice.
- Engagement with academic departments and College Administration to ensure that FYE courses are serving the needs of each.
- Ongoing consultation with faculty to review course content, delivery alternatives, co-curricular activities, and course assessment.
As a member of the LAS Department, this faculty member will also provide academic advisement to LAS students and participate in recruitment activities for the LAS Program. This person will work closely with the Chair and support staff of LAS, to administer and evaluate the program.
The successful candidate will demonstrate an interest and high level of competence in teaching. The service component of the workload includes student mentoring/advising, peer consultation regarding DEISJ issues, and active participation on departmental, school, and college-wide committees. The FYE coordinator may be expected to teach in multiple formats including hybrid, online and traditional face-to-face classes. The FYE Coordinator will have responsibility for communicating how the work of the FYE program contributes to enrollment management and student retention strategies.
The college particularly welcomes candidates with knowledge, skills and abilities that include:
- Commitment to diversity and university initiatives supportive of diversity and inclusion.
- Interest in participating in student-centered service activities.
- Desire to apply expertise in promoting civic engagement with the College's many community partners.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master's Degree
- 3-5 years of undergraduate teaching experience
- Experience that reflects a commitment to diversity and participation in initiatives supportive of diversity and inclusion
- Demonstrated program development, management, and assessment skills.
- Strong oral and written communication and strong interpersonal skills.
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience working with first-year students or students transitioning to higher education.
- Taught introductory-level college courses.
- A terminal degree in your field of study.
- Certifications or extensive work experience in diversity, equity, and inclusion.
This is an 11-month UUP faculty position.
- For the first 10 working days, beginning Friday, September 9, 2022 and ending Thursday, September 22, 2022, applications will be limited to UUP Farmingdale.
- CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: Monday, November 7, 2022
- ANTICIPATED START DATE: January 1, 2023
The State University of New York offers excellent fringe benefits including health insurance options and retirement plans
VISA SPONSORSHIP IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION
The Consumer Information web page can be viewed at the following link
This page describes various services, information and statistics on many different aspects of the College's operations.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested candidates may apply by clicking on the "Apply Now" link at the top or bottom of this page. The following documents are required for all positions:
- Cover Letter
Additional instructions for faculty positions: Your cover letter must include a statement on teaching philosophy and methodology. Please attach copies of teaching evaluations and an unofficial copy of graduate transcripts (showing highest degree awarded/currently in process). Candidates invited for interviews will be asked to make a presentation on their research/creative activities as well as a separate teaching demonstration.Only applications made through Farmingdale's electronic application system will be accepted. Once you successfully apply you will receive an email as confirmation and be directed to another page in order to upload additional documents. Returning applicants may login to their Farmingdale State College Careers Account to apply for this position. See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.