Assistant Professor - Civil Engineering Technology (Position #1)
Farmingdale State College invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in the Civil Engineering Technology Department. The successful candidate will develop and deliver courses, primarily at the undergraduate level, in multiple areas of Civil Engineering Technology, including mechanics, structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, water resources engineering, and/or transportation engineering. Teaching may also be required at the graduate level in related topics. Expectations of service include participation in student advisement, recruitment and other department activities. The candidate is also expected to engage with constituents involved in public works in the region, and to conduct applied research leading to publications.
The successful candidate will have excellent written and oral communication skills and must be committed to the continuous improvement process and the outcome-based assessment of the program to maintain specialized accreditation. Teaching assignments will include both day and evening classes, as well as possible online and/or hybrid course engagement. The Civil Engineering Department will be seeking ETAC/ABET accreditation for its Bachelor of Science degree programs in Civil Engineering Technology, and the successful candidate will be expected to significantly contribute to this process.
All faculty members at Farmingdale State College have three workload components: teaching, research and scholarly activity, and service. Service includes advising students as well as serving on departmental and college-wide committees. The successful candidate will demonstrate an interest and high level of competence in teaching. Candidates should have a research agenda that complements their area of academic specialty and has potential for peer-reviewed publications and presentations, both of which are necessary for promotion and tenure at Farmingdale State College.
The college particularly welcomes candidates with knowledge, skills and abilities that include:
- Commitment to diversity and university initiatives supportive of diversity and inclusion.
- Interest in participating in student-centered service activities.
- Desire to apply expertise in promoting civic engagement with the College's many community partners.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- An earned PhD in Civil Engineering or a closely related field as well as a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering or related discipline.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct scholarship in Civil Engineering or a closely related field.
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Previous industry or academic experience in Civil Engineering or a related field.
- PE (Professional Engineer) license or ability to obtain licensure.
- Previous college level teaching experience.
- Prior experience in course and/or program development.
This is a 10-month UUP faculty position.
- For the first 10 working days, beginning Friday, September 9, 2022 and ending Thursday, September 22, 2022, UUP Farmingdale applications will be given priority.
- CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: Sunday, October 9, 2022
- ANTICIPATED START DATE: January 1, 2023
The State University of New York offers excellent fringe benefits including health insurance options and retirement plans
VISA SPONSORSHIP IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION
The Consumer Information web page can be viewed at the following link
This page describes various services, information and statistics on many different aspects of the College's operations.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested candidates may apply by clicking on the "Apply Now" link at the top or bottom of this page. The following documents are required for all positions:
- Cover Letter
Additional instructions for faculty positions: Your cover letter must include a statement on teaching philosophy and methodology. Please attach copies of teaching evaluations and an unofficial copy of graduate transcripts (showing highest degree awarded/currently in process). Candidates invited for interviews will be asked to make a presentation on their research/creative activities as well as a separate teaching demonstration.Only applications made through Farmingdale's electronic application system will be accepted. Once you successfully apply you will receive an email as confirmation and be directed to another page in order to upload additional documents. Returning applicants may login to their Farmingdale State College Careers Account to apply for this position. See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.