Assistant Professor - Biology (Microbiology)
The Biology Department at Farmingdale State College invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor in Medical Microbiology. Teaching responsibilities will include Medical and/or Oral Microbiology lecture and/or laboratory. In addition, the position will require student advisement, curriculum review and development, and service on departmental and college-wide committees. The successful candidate is expected to engage in research leading to the publication of peer-reviewed articles and external grant applications. Advanced undergraduate students are often involved in the research activities as interns mentored by the faculty member. Please note: this search is for an assistant professor; no other rank will be considered. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
All faculty members at Farmingdale State College have three workload components: teaching, research and scholarly activity, and service. The successful candidate will demonstrate an interest and high level of competence in teaching. Candidates should have a research agenda that complements their area of academic specialty resulting in peer-reviewed publications and presentation, both of which are necessary for promotion and tenure at Farmingdale State College. The service component of the workload includes student advisement as well as active participation on departmental, school and college-wide committees. The faculty member may be expected to teach in multiple formats including hybrid, online and traditional face-to-face classes.
The college particularly welcomes candidates with knowledge, skills and abilities that include:
- Commitment to diversity and university initiatives supportive of diversity and inclusion.
- Interest in participating in student-centered service activities.
- Desire to apply expertise in promoting civic engagement with the College's many community partners.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:Only candidates who have completed a PhD in a field related to microbiology at the time of application will be considered. At least one year of experience teaching biology courses at the undergraduate level is required. A successful candidate will also possess the following:
- Postdoctoral training and/or an ongoing research program;
- Peer-reviewed publications;
- Ability to relate to and work with students in various aspects of their academic pursuits;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience teaching Microbiology at the undergraduate level;
- Grant writing experience;
- Experience with quality assurance and/or regulatory affairs;
- Research within the field of Biology that can be supported and enhanced by existing research in the Biology Department at Farmingdale.
This is a full-time, 10 month, tenure track faculty position.
- For the first 10 working days, beginning Thursday, September 1, 2022 and ending Wednesday, September 14, 2022, applications will be limited to UUP Farmingdale.
- CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: Sunday, October 30, 2022
- ANTICIPATED START DATE: September 1, 2023
The State University of New York offers excellent fringe benefits including health insurance options and retirement plans.
VISA SPONSORSHIP IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION
The Consumer Information web page can be viewed at the following link - http://www.farmingdale.edu/consumer-information
This page describes various services, information and statistics on many different aspects of the College's operations.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
Interested candidates may apply by clicking on the "Apply Now" link at the top or bottom of this page. The following documents are required for all positions:
- Cover Letter
Additional instructions for faculty positions: Your cover letter must include a statement on teaching philosophy and methodology. Please attach copies of teaching evaluations and an unofficial copy of graduate transcripts (showing highest degree awarded/currently in process). Candidates invited for interviews will be asked to make a presentation on their research/creative activities as well as a separate teaching demonstration.Only applications made through Farmingdale's electronic application system will be accepted. Once you successfully apply you will receive an email as confirmation and be directed to another page in order to upload additional documents. Returning applicants may login to their Farmingdale State College Careers Account to apply for this position. See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.