Business Systems Analyst (Senior)
Founded in 1863, Boston College is a Jesuit, Catholic university located six miles from downtown Boston with an enrollment of 9,445 full-time undergraduates and 5,125 graduate and professional students. Ranked 35 among national universities, Boston College has 878 full-time and 1,201 FTE faculty, 2,750 non-faculty employees, an operating budget of $1.2 billion, and an endowment in excess of $2.8 billion.Job Description
Business Systems Analyst serves as a gatekeeper for our organization's data so stakeholders can understand the data and use it to make business decisions. This role requires not only knowledge of the business processes and relevant data but also requires technical skills and experience. This role supports Student Services and serves in a strategic role focused on using data and information to support the goals of the university.
This experienced and self-motivated Data Analyst will work autonomously to deliver high quality data products which includes: on demand and automated reports, analytics, data modeling diagrams/expertise, data research and troubleshooting. This role will turn data into information, information into insight and insight into business decisions. This role will use a combination of technical and leadership skills to support the business. The technical skills include knowledge of database languages such as SQL, R, and/or Python; spreadsheet tools such as Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets; and data visualization software such as Tableau and reporting tools such as Cognos.
- Interpret data, analyze results and provide accurate reports to end customers
- Create and maintain standard data sources and reports
- Develop and implement databases, data collection systems and other strategies that optimize efficiency and ensure high quality output
- Acquire data from primary or secondary data sources and maintain databases
- Work closely with downstream consumers of student systems data to ensure consistency and accuracy of data use
- Train, communicate and support data related activities (reporting tools, data usage and accuracy, troubleshooting issues)
- Work closely with users/requestors to understand data needs and then create reports with the university data from various sources to help focus the team on easy to improve service and outcomes.
- Collaborate with Business systems analysts and programmers on the Student Services Information systems team to understand complex data structures and identify opportunities for process improvements and recommend system modifications
- Create appropriate documentation that allows stakeholders to understand the steps of the data analysis process and duplicate or replicate the analysis if necessary
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets
- Filter and "clean" data by reviewing reports
- Work with management to prioritize business and information needs
- Locate and define new process improvement opportunities
Title and salary commensurate with relevant experience based on the following titles and hiring ranges:
2-3 years of professional experience (non-senior): $59,560 - $74,450
5+ years of professional experience (senior): $72,600 - $90,750
- Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Computer Science or Information Management; Master's preferred.
- Senior level: Five years of experience as a data analyst, higher education experience
- Non-Senior level: Two to three years of experience as a data analyst, higher education experience
Boston College offers a broad and competitive range of benefits depending on your job classification eligibility:
- Tuition remission for Employees
- Tuition remission for Spouses and Children who meet eligibility requirements
- Generous Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Low-Cost Life Insurance
- Eligibility for both University-Funded 401k and Employer-Sponsored 403b Retirement Plans
- Paid Holidays Annually
- Generous Sick and Vacation Pay
- Additional benefits can be found on https://www.bc.edu/employeehandbook
Boston College conducts pre-employment background checks as part of the hiring process and requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Boston College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. In concert with our Jesuit, Catholic mission, Boston College is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications for women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans. To learn more about how BC supports diversity and inclusion throughout the university please visit the Office for Institutional Diversity at https://www.bc.edu/offices/diversity.
Boston College's Notice of Nondiscrimination can be viewed at https://www.bc.edu/nondiscrimination.