Deputy Chief of Staff
Job SummaryThe Deputy Chief of Staff assists the SVP/Chief of Staff in providing complex and confidential project management in support of the strategic mission of the College. Establishes critical strategic and operational goals; develops and implements new policies, processes, standards, or operational plans to achieve strategies. Regularly leads high-visibility projects of critical importance to the campus; Requires significant influence and communication with executive leadership. Supports various administrative committees such as the Campus-wide Risk Committee and Commencement Speaker Selection Committee and serves as the liaison to the Staff Council.
The Deputy Chief of Staff provides administrative leadership and logistical support for the Office of the President's initiatives and plays a key role in ensuring the College complies with the rules and regulations of higher education regulatory agencies in collaboration with Business and Financial Affairs. Coordinates presidential activities and events. Coordinates the ongoing work of reviewing and evaluating compliance practices and policies as they relate to campus policies and procedures and to federal and other regulations governing higher education.
Along with other members of the Office of the President Staff, serves as liaison between the President and members of the campus community, with a focus on students and staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as the Chief of Staff's primary liaison and aide, ensuring seamless coordination of the President's endeavors;
- Manages high-priority projects and key strategic initiatives and coordinate necessary actions and communications across internal and external college stakeholders;
- Anticipates, identifies, and troubleshoots issues of concern or significance; exercises discretion to provide timely information and necessary updates to the leadership;
- Ensures that matters requiring the attention of leadership, including the President, are thoroughly developed, researched, evaluated and appropriately resolved;
- Works collaboratively to develop materials, manage and/or coordinate the planning and management of strategic events and special meetings;
- Researches, writes, edits and/or manages the preparation of constituent communications, confidential communications, special reports, briefings, outreach efforts and presentations;
- Coordinates and contributes to institutional planning, policy development, presidential initiatives, and problem resolution;
- Provides support to the Chief of Staff and the President, at internal and external meetings and special events.
- Leads special projects as requested by the Chief of Staff and/or President;
- Coordinates with Vice Presidents, Executive Assistants, and others to coordinate progress and resolution of Presidential assignments;
- Participates in key constituent meetings, ensures appropriate and responsive follow-up and accountability, and facilitates resolution of matters requiring the Chief of Staff's attention;
- Assists the Chief of Staff in maintaining an engaged, cordial, and robust relationship with Spelman's stakeholders - serves as primary contact for staff and students;
- Maintains the institutional risk map and provides oversight in the management and mitigation of significant risks, including conflict of interest and whistleblower policies and procedure, and collaborates with Business and Financial Affairs to coordinate business continuity planning;
- Periodically reviews and assesses Standard Operating Procedures and policies to ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements;
- Assists Chief of Staff in setting priorities, crisis planning, and problem solving;
- Maintains records of meetings with action items, assignments and timetable for follow-up;
- Supports the Chief of Staff and President at internal and external meetings and forums, as designated.
Required QualificationsBachelor's degree along with a minimum of eight years of progressive senior level experience is required. An advanced degree is preferred. Experience in higher education administration and compliance also is highly preferred.
Strong administrative, leadership, analytical, computer, critical thinking, and verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated abilities to perform complex tasks, prioritize multiple projects, and analyze, summarize, and effectively present data, recognize patterns, and distill it into insights. Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community. Advanced skills in typical office technology and software programs and in presentation development.
As a principal representative of the Office of the President, must be collegial, respectful and maintain good relationships with internal and external constituents. Must have outstanding judgment and a strong sense of humility - understanding that his/her actions represent and reflect on the President. S/he will have outstanding interpersonal, negotiating and conflict resolution skills, along with a demonstrated ability to handle issues with a high degree of sensitivity, discretion, and confidentiality are critical for this position.
This position requires highly developed collaborative and organizational skills and a thorough understanding and appreciation of the educational mission of the College.
The successful candidate must have a proven track record of managing diverse constituents and the ability to work effectively and collaboratively to achieve strategic institutional goals in a timely manner.
The handling of complex and multidimensional problems, requiring broad based consideration of variables that impact multiple areas of the institution are critical for this position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have proficient/advanced computer skills using the Microsoft Office suite including, Word, Excel and PowerPoint; ability to create and manipulate such things as general correspondence, electronic reports, spreadsheets and presentations. Must be able to utilize an email and calendar system, such as Microsoft, and be internet savvy.
Preferred QualificationsAn advanced degree is preferred.
Experience in higher education administration and compliance also is highly preferred.
Physical DemandsWhile performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to: sit, walk, talk, hear, use hands to handle office supplies, operate computer and other office equipment. The employee is frequently required to: reach with hands and arms, and stand. The employee is occasionally required to: climb, and lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to adjust focus.
Full Time/Part Time: Full-time
Posting Number: SC0481P
Open Until Filled: Yes
COVID-19 Testing and Vaccination ProtocolDue to the ongoing pandemic, Spelman College has instituted a COVID-19 testing requirement. You will need to provide a negative COVID-19 test result within five (5) days of your start date. Acceptable tests include: PCR, Rapid Antigen, or results of an at home self-test. When providing test results of an at home self-test, your full name and test date must be written down legibly alongside your final results. The cost related to testing is not a reimbursable expense by the College. Please email your negative test results to Yemi Brown, PharmD Manager of COVID-19 Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to your first day on campus.
In addition, due to the heightened risk of contracting COVID-19 and the spread of variants, Spelman College requires up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination of all faculty, staff, and students (collectively "Campus Community") that have job duties, attend classes, or are otherwise present on campus. You will need to submit proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination (full vaccination and a booster) prior to your first day on campus or you may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement by providing the necessary documentation to: Yemi Brown, PharmD Manager of COVID-19 Operations, at email@example.com. Upon receiving your Spelman Technology log-in credentials, please keep your vaccination or exemptions records up-to-date using Etrieve.
It is our hope to minimize transmission of the coronavirus in the workplace and academic setting by requiring occupational protection such as requiring face masks be worn indoors, encouraging frequent handwashing and promoting adherence to the community testing cadence.