Learning Specialist, Student-Athletes- ATH
Kennesaw State University
Tutors and Learning Resources
Job ID: 248773
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Find your wings at KSU!
Are you ready to join a higher education community leading in innovative teaching and learning?
Kennesaw State University is one of the 50 largest public institutions in the country and one of the largest in the state of Georgia offering more than 150 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degrees to its nearly 43,000 students. Our university's vibrant campus culture, diverse population, strong global ties, entrepreneurial spirit, and Division I athletics draw students from throughout the region and from 92 countries across the globe.
We are growing and searching for talented people to join our mission!
Our Kennesaw campus is located at 1000 Chastain Road NW, Kennesaw, GA 30144.
Assists leader in assessing all student-athletes' academic background and skills in order to identify specific needs and works in a support capacity to execute goals to increase retention, progression, and student success. Provides intensive academic support to an assigned group of student-athletes with high learning support needs.
1. Carries a caseload of assigned student-athletes with high support needs and uses specific academic interventions relevant to students' learning needs
2. Educates students on effective study skills, i.e., note-taking, test-taking skills, organization, reading comprehension, and time management
3. Assists in creating individualized academic plans for assigned student-athletes including those diagnosed with education-impacting disabilities
4. Assists with assessments and screening processes to identify students' learning needs and applies techniques to help develop skills
5. Communicates frequently, effectively, and consistently with key SASS staff
6. Maintains complete and accurate records of sessions with students and their academic progress
7. Identifies research-based therapies that will benefit a student's unique learning differences and uses these therapies to provide remediation and close learning gaps in math, reading, and/or writing skills
8. Assists with the development and delivery of lesson plans and course content to teach study skills and acclimatization skills during student-athlete summer bridge
9. Assists with the registration process in Student Disability Services for any student-athletes who qualify for academic accommodations
Master's degree from an accredited institution of higher education in a related field
One (1) year of academic experience in higher education
Additional Preferred Qualifications
Understanding of NCAA rules and regulations concerning athletic eligibility
Preferred Educational Qualifications
Degree in education, special education, adult education, or counseling; experience working with Division I student-athletes
Experience with disability services or familiarity with academic accommodations would be beneficial
Experience with academic testing and resources is preferred
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
Able to implement strategies and interpret educational testing results
Able to remediate knowledge deficiencies
Able to work as a productive member of a team dedicated to student success
Able to handle multiple tasks or projects at one-time meeting assigned deadlines
Understanding of individualized study plans and personalized learning
Familiarity with resources offered to support student success
Excellent interpersonal, initiative, teamwork, problem-solving, independent judgment, organization, communication (verbal and written), time management, project management, and presentation skills
Foundational education in math, reading and teaching these skills
Proficient with computer applications and programs associated with the position (i.e., Microsoft Office suite)
Strong attention to detail and follow-up skills
Strong customer service skills and phone and e-mail etiquette
Equal Employment Opportunity
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Kennesaw State University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, national, origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or status as a protected Veteran. Kennesaw State University is a participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify) effective October 15, 2007. Participant ID: 61415
This is not a supervisory position.
This position does not have any financial responsibilities.
No, this position will not be required to drive.
This role is considered a position of trust.
This position does not require a purchasing card (P-Card).
This position will not travel
- Standard Enhanced + Education
All applicants are required to include professional references as part of their application process. Some positions may require additional job-based screenings such as motor vehicle report, credit check, pre-employment drug screening and/or verification of academic credentials.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=43000&JobOpeningId=248773&PostingSeq=1