Dean - Student Development
Central Arizona College believes high-performing organizations are inclusive and continually seek to be enriched and strengthened by the wisdom of diversity. The Student Services division is committed to supporting excellence and equity for its students and employees. Diverse perspectives, talents, and identities are welcomed and vital to accomplishing our mission and goals.
The Dean of Student Development provides leadership and oversees a wide array of programs and resources impacting student success, elevating student voice and increasing a sense of belonging for our diverse student population. Serve as a member of the Executive Council.
- Serve as a diversity, equity and inclusion advisor for the Student Services division. Collaborate with key college stakeholders to enhance the coordination of current cultural and educational programs that increase awareness, appreciation, and engagement for diversity and inclusion for students, staff and faculty.
- Assess and appropriately address the needs of students with regard to housing and food insecurities, mental and physical health. Lead the College’s Behavior Intervention Team (BIT) in collaboration with Campus Police, Title IX, Student Accessibility Services, and other appropriate colleagues. Meet with students who exhibit behaviors inconsistent with College expectations and provide guidance and support. Coach and train faculty and staff to manage and influence students when behaviors are beginning to be exhibited outside of College expectations.
- Provide leadership and utilize an equity lens for the development of policies and procedures and the continual review of the Student Code of Conduct and Student Handbook in accordance with college policy. Conduct and/or lead student hearing process. Assign cases to conduct officers throughout the district and ensure student due process and equitable sanctions are imposed. Train hearing board members on related policies and procedures; maintain a system to assure sanction compliance.
- Supervise and oversee the Student Engagement, Student Accessibility Services, Veteran and Military Services, Residence Life, and TRIO departments by delegating tasks, providing direction, and communicating job expectations. Mentor and provide professional development opportunities for both professional and student employees. Facilitate the Student Awards programs to celebrate and recognize both academic and co-curricular student achievements.
- Provide oversight with regard to Title IV- Student Right to Know regulatory requirements to ensure compliance with the U.S. Department of Education. Develop, implement, and communicate preventative measures and activities focused on drug and alcohol awareness.
- Contribute to the management and direction of the operational and strategic planning and implementation process for the division and division departments in support of College goals and objectives.
- Develop budget recommendations for annual budgets as well as long-term capital projects with in Student Development. Manage approved budgets; monitor and oversee equipment/inventories for multiple programs. Work with budget managers to make sure funds are allocated in highest priority areas while maintaining the integrity of College policy and procedure.
- Perform other duties commensurate with the functions and level of the position to include the recruitment and retention of students.
- Demonstrate high ethical standards with regard to advising and coaching Student Services staff towards improved equity
- Demonstrate cultural competence
- Adept at managing change and sensitive topics
- Knowledge of working with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff
- Knowledge of District policies and procedures and how they are applied to the work environment
- Knowledge of accreditation and certifying agencies' regulations and standards
- Knowledge of current education theory and practice
- Skills in planning, implementing, promoting and evaluating co-curricular programs and activities
- Knowledge of budget preparation, monitoring and administration
- Knowledge and skills in marketing and promotion of programs
- Knowledge of legal and ethical issues in student development
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of a relational database, i.e., Anthology student information system
- Knowledge and skill in leadership, management and supervisory principles, practices and techniques
- Ability to manage multiple projects and inspire others to achieve objectives
- Skill analyzing data and making appropriate recommendations
- Skill as a community liaison, locally and internationally
- Skill establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other department staff, faculty, students and the public
- Skill in conflict resolution, leadership and team building
- Skill in solving difficult problems
- Ability to prepare complex reports and respond to inquiries as appropriate
- Ability to work within an open and team environment using collaborative approaches
- Ability to motivate staff across campuses and centers
- Ability to establish, maintain and assess collaborative educational and service programs
EDUCATION: Master's Degree
EXPERIENCE: Five (5) years progressively responsible student services experience in a higher education setting
SPECIAL POSITION CONDITIONS: Countywide travel using own transportation will be required. Evening and weekend duties may be required to support student life activities.
DESIRABLES: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion programming and resources supporting student successSALARY: $88,805.00 - $94,133.00 (Dependent upon qualifications)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 9, 2022
APPLICATION INFORMATION: The application packet must include:
- Letter of interest
- Current resume
- Unofficial copies of transcripts reflecting the required degree or course work.
Background Verification: As a condition of employment, all candidates accepting an offer of employment for a full-time, part- time, temporary, student worker, or volunteer position, will be required to undergo a background verification. The check will be conducted by third party agent, backgroundchecks.com. Employment with Central Arizona College is contingent upon the successful completion of the background verification. The college does not accept responsibility for information errors reported by backgroundchecks.com during the background process. The level of the background verification for this position is: Executive level.