Student Experience Manager - Purpose Center
The West Virginia University Purpose Center is currently accepting applications for a Student Experience Manager.
About the Opportunity
The Student Experience Manager will be responsible for leading the Center in activities to recruit, retain, and connect students, faculty, staff and alumni to the resources they need on their holistic purpose journey. The successful candidate will work with Purpose Center staff and units across campus to create connections with university resources while identifying ways to elevate the student experience through personal, integrated customer service
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year(for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits (this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What You'll Do
Recruitment and Advising:
- Work with undergraduate admissions, the WVU Visitors Center, and Purpose Center staff to develop and implement a Purpose Center recruitment plan for prospective students to meet established goals.
- Create key performance indicators to measure progress toward goals.
- Create and distribute reports that outline results and recommend any strategic changes necessary to meet goals.
- Evaluate data to develop new strategic initiatives within the Purpose Center to connect students to university resources.
- Create, plan and execute student experience-related events at the Purpose Center.
- Collaborate with Undergraduate Admissions, Student Financial Services and the WVU Visitor Center to provide admissions information and services to support prospective students and their families in the recruitment process.
- Work with units across campus, particularly the Provost Office and Student Life, to support student success and retention initiatives.
- Connect prospective students and families to academic units across campus, as well as student organizations or other campus resources.
- Work with the Center for Learning Advising and Student Success to assist undecided students on their purpose journey find their academic pathway and student life resources.
- Have working knowledge of all WVU majors and programs and work with advisors in each college to help students find the right academic pathway on campus.
- Represent the Purpose Center as needed at central recruitment events across campus.
- Disseminate pertinent communications in a timely manner to prospective and/or continuing students, such as Purpose Center programming and mentorship opportunities.
- Serve as a resource for prospective students and their families, as well as current students, by meeting with them on an individual basis (for both on-campus and off-campus events), answering questions, and discussing academic, career, and co-curricular opportunities.
- Provide on-site tours of the Purpose Center.
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative research, both primary and secondary as needed, on enrollment and retention trends and patterns to ensure the Center is supporting recruitment and advising efforts at the highest level across campus for every department.
- Work closely with campus units to gather enrollment and recruitment/admissions data; use data to enhance Purpose Center programming and initiatives to meet university enrollment goals.
- In collaboration with the Outreach and Programming Manager, provide Strengths coaching to students, faculty, staff and alumni by working with Strengths coaches on campus to provide workshops and training to groups as needed.
- Collaborate with units across campus to thoroughly understand resources available to students; effectively communicate that information to students, faculty, staff and alumni visiting the center.
- Be an active participant in the creation of campaigns and initiatives for the Purpose Center.
- Assist in developing marketing materials based on student, faculty, staff, and alumni feedback with the Center.
- Participate in University-sponsored recruitment, advising and communication committee meetings.
- Effectively correspond with Purpose Center visitors and follow-up with visitors as needed.
- Hire, train and lead the Purpose Student Ambassadors working in the center, at events and other Purpose-related activities.
- Work with the Outreach and Programming Manager to implement and oversee Strengths trainings and workshops provided by the Purpose Center to the campus community; work with current strengths coaches in training development.
- Develop and coordinate purpose and strengths workshops for K-12 groups and units across campus as the center moves into additional phases of programming.
- Serve in other capacities regarding Purpose issues and events as requested by the Purpose Center Director.
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Strategic communications (Advertising or PR) or another applied communications discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master's preferred.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in student admissions, advising, recruitment or retention and/or experience in sales and customer service.
- Advising and Recruitment Experience is preferred.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficiency in professional social media communications.
- Strong organizational skills and a proven ability to work as a team member to accomplish unit goals.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, problem-solve, collaborate, and work independently.
- Excellent computer skills (writing and data bases).
- The successful candidate must:
- Be self-motivated and dedicated to fulfilling their responsibilities.
- Be "student-cente red, people-oriented" and enjoy working with diverse populations.
- Exhibit a consistently positive attitude.
- Be results-oriented with strong time management skills.
- Be dedicated to customer service.
- Take responsibility for his/her job requirements.
- Successfully fulfill the role with minimum supervision/oversight.
- Be an effective oral and verbal communicator and dynamic presenter.
- Be able to manage multiple priorities with a high level of detail.
- Valid Driver's License.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visitgo.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities atcareers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Sep 15, 2022
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes