118838 - Director of Development, Jacobs School of Engineer
University of California, San Diego
La Jolla, California
Development and Fundraising
|Department: UNIVERSITY DEVELOPMENT||Salary Range Commensurate with Experience|
|Worksite: Campus||Appointment Type: Career|
|Appointment Percent: 100%||Union: Uncovered|
|Total Openings: 1||Work Schedule: Days, 8 hrs/day, Mon-Fri|
Reporting to the Executive Director of Development for the Jacobs School of Engineering (JSOE), the Director of Development (DOD) will be a frontline fundraiser responsible for leading major gift strategies from identification through stewardship. Directors of Development manage an individual portfolio of prospects capable of giving major gifts in excess of $100,000. Directors possess a comprehensive understanding of university priorities, regularly meeting with prospects and donors (with a focus on face-to-face visits), regularly meeting with development colleagues and academic leaders, preparing briefing materials and gift proposals, attending events and staffing and/or supervising projects as assigned.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion are core values at UC San Diego and Advancement is committed to a continuous process of learning and updating practices to support systemic evolution toward equity, diversity, and inclusion for our team and constituents. We foster the UC San Diego Principles of Community by encouraging and developing a collaborative and positive environment among colleagues. UC San Diego provides resources and services so employees can develop a deeper connection to our diverse campus community. Explore more at UC San Diego Staff Associations network and Campus Community Centers.
- Proven success as a development officer in a highly sophisticated donor-centered fundraising environment as a direct-line fundraiser with five years or more of experience.
- Expert working knowledge of all aspects of fundraising, donor relations, and public relations concepts, principles, procedures, and techniques. Proven experience in the full spectrum of development including: gift policies, solicitations, stewardship, donor recognition, and administration.
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills, including political acumen, to establish and maintain good working relationships throughout the organization and with outside constituencies. Expert skills in making persuasive and compelling presentations of goals and objectives for a location in order to secure gifts. Ability to communicate effectively one-on-one or in group settings, taking into account differences in social, cultural, professional, and educational backgrounds.
- Strong organizational, analytical and critical thinking skills. Expert project / program management skills, including skills in setting and meeting program / project goals and objectives within budget and time constraints.
- Demonstrated success at fundraising by developing and implementing strategic solicitation fundraising plans that incorporate a concise definition of goals, targeted audiences, and strategies in-line with institution and academic goals in higher education and closing gifts ($100,000+) from individuals, corporations, and foundations, both local and national.
- Expert level skills in maintaining confidentiality. Strong sense of ethical conduct that will inspire confidence and motivation with the proven ability to persuade colleagues and donor prospects, while maintaining confidentiality in all matters as they relate to sensitive donor relations issues.
- Proven record of writing proposals for a significant project/gift ($100,000+) directed to individual and foundations/corporations.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement persuasive cultivation ideas and techniques and provide critical analysis, using sound judgment with realistic expectations for prospects and donors.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public relations to provide direction to special programs for outreach to prospective and existing donors.
- Skill in the technique of donor prospect research with the ability to extract the pertinent/critical information from various documents.
- Expertise to utilize on-line databases and other software to create, retrieve, and compile up-to-the- minute documents and historical information for reports.
- Job offer is contingent upon satisfactory clearance based on Background Check results.
- Must be willing and able to travel.
- Must have access to reliable transportation.