Temporary Full time Faculty Welding
Lorain County Community College (LCCC) is seeking experienced, enthusiastic, and innovative applicants for a full-time instructor position in Welding Engineering Technology, within the division of Engineering, Business, and Information Technologies (EBIT). Incumbent must be student-centered, placing student academic achievement, career advancement, and professional success as top priorities. The position requires knowledge and skills in the areas of: welding safety, welding print reading, welding processes including SMAW, GMAW, FCAW, GTAW, Oxy-Fuel, Plasma Arc, and pipe welding. In addition, candidates should have general knowledge on welding equipment setup and safe operation.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to instructing students in correct operation and setup of a variety of welding equipment and maintenance of the equipment. The successful candidate must also have knowledge of related common fabrication and manufacturing processes.
Additional Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Work on-campus in a hands-on laboratory training-based environment.
- Demonstrate and instruct students and trainees in multiple disciplines of welding.
- Demonstrate the safe and proper use of hand tools such as grinders, Wellsaw, Ironworker, belt sander, and other assorted hand tools.
- Lectures online using LCCC LMS (Learning Management System).
- Work with other faculty and staff on divisional, institutional and grant supported projects and initiatives that advance the College’s strategic plan.
- Work with students and trainees on projects.
- Assist with updating curriculum and making improvements to the courses.
- Demonstrate and provide guidance to students in hands-on skills and related theory.
- Support assessment and accreditation of degree including outcomes mapping, documentation tracking, student feedback, employer feedback, and alumni feedback.
- Work with students and other faculty on welding related research.
- Work with other members of LCCC faculty as well as additional institutions for training on industrial automation and Industry 4.0 equipment.
- Work with students on credit-based required work-based learning experiences. Availability to work both days and evenings to meet course schedules as needed.
The complete application file should include: a cover letter detailing area(s) of expertise, a professional statement addressing (see topic below), an updated curriculum vitae (CV), unofficial college transcripts (undergraduate and graduate), an LCCC Employment Application, and the contact information of three professional references. Incomplete files will not be considered. Official transcripts will be required upon employment. Candidate selected will be required to complete a background check prior to being hired.
Discuss how your approach to teaching aligns with LCCC’s commitment to “ensure equity for all students,” so that they “reach their full potential.” Also, discuss your philosophy and views of higher education, particularly as it relates to the community college compared to other institutions of higher learning; academic standards, trends; course delivery, student development and teaching style as it relates to teaching technical/applied courses. If you have prior part-time teaching experience, reflect on your teaching experience and student evaluations for the most recent 3 years. If you have prior business/hands-on work experience related to the topics described in the job description, reflect on the applicability and currency of your work experience to the position. Kindly type your essay; use additional pages as needed (1200 words).
- Required Qualifications: Associate’s degree in Welding Technology or related field and industry certifications (AWS, ASNT); 3-5 years industry experience in set up and operation of all listed equipment in the job description; and the ability to use modern (educational) technology such as multimedia-based instructions or the ability to learn.
- Preferred Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Welding Technology or related field and industry certifications (AWS, ASNT); 3-5 years teaching in a higher education institution; related Industrial work experience; experience teaching laboratory-based classes; experience with Learning Management Systems; holding and maintaining AWS and or ASNT Certifications.