Asst/Assoc Prof, Clinical/Tenure Track Anesthesiology
The Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences of the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine announces a search to fill a full-time faculty position in Anesthesia at the rank of clinical or tenure track Assistant or Associate Professor. The successful candidate will share service, teaching and emergency responsibilities with three other faculty anesthesiologists, one part time clinical instructor and one anesthesia resident. Scholarly responsibilities will vary based on the interest and qualification of the candidate and may include independent, collaborative or translational research.
- Primary job responsibility will be to direct the clinical anesthesia service, participate in didactic instruction in anesthesiology and related disciplines, supervise students in anesthesia and surgery labs, provide clinical instruction of professional students in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital and provide anesthesia training of interns, residents and graduate students from various disciplines.
- The anesthesiology service has a residency training/graduate degree program and this position would share responsibilities associated with resident training.
- Service responsibilities will include anesthesia on both small and large animals, consultations in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital, participation in continuing education programs of the College and participation in faculty governance activities.
- Service responsibilities will also include participation in emergency services. This responsibility will be shared with the anesthesiology resident and three faculty anesthesiologists who are Diplomates of the ACVAA.
- The successful candidate will participate in continuing education and faculty governance.
- The successful candidate must be committed to excellent patient management, client service and clinical teaching.
- The successful candidate will also be expected to participate in general anesthesia service activities such as meetings, resident seminars, journal club and rounds.
- Research responsibilities will vary based on the interest and qualification of the candidate and may include collaborative or translational research. The successful candidate will be encouraged to work with ongoing research programs and contribute to the scholarly achievements of the department. Ongoing research in the Anesthesia service includes areas such as minimally invasive and non-invasive cardiac output monitoring, methods identifying fluid responsiveness, ventilation strategies, clinical pharmacology and pharmacokinetics of anesthetics and anesthetic adjuvants.
- Review of applications will begin October 1st 2022, and will continue until a successful candidate is identified.
- Rank and salary will commensurate with qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
- Generous retirement contributions by the institution
- Student loans payment support
- Paid moving expenses
- Negotiable percentage of time allocated for clinical service, teaching, and research
- Salary will be competitive and commensurate with the candidate's experience and qualifications.
- 24 days per year of leave and carry over of up to 288 hours per year.
- Twenty-six weeks (1,040 hours) of personal sick leave upon hire. Ten days can be used for family sick.
- Paid parental leave (320 hours) used for birth, adoption, foster or custodial placement of a child and is available up to 6 months from date of event. Can be used in addition to other leave. Must have been employed for 12 consecutive months.
- Thousands of Hokie discounts managed by PerkSpot
- Blacksburg, Virginia http://www.maps.vt.edu/
- Virginia Tech http://www.vt.edu/
- VA-MD Regional College of Veterinary Medicine http://www.vetmed.vt.edu/
- Require DVM or equivalent foreign degree by the date of hire
- Completion of an American College of Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia (ACVAA) or the European College of Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia (ECVAA) by the date of hire.
- Must be eligible for a Virginia faculty veterinary license by appointment start date.
- Occasional travel to attend professional conferences and meetings
- Demonstrated commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
- Diplomate status in the American College of Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia or the European College of Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia (ECVAA) is preferred.
- Advanced Degree (MS, PhD)
- Clinical Experience in anesthesiology
- Experience in teaching
- Leadership record
- Previous scholarly activity
Salary; to commensurate with rank
September 1, 2022
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Dr. Vaidehi Paranjape at email@example.com regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.