Director for Conferences and Event Services
Franklin & Marshall College is recruiting for a full-time Exempt Director for Conferences and Event Services
Franklin & Marshall College is a residential college dedicated to excellence in undergraduate liberal education. Its aims are to inspire in young people of high promise and diverse backgrounds a genuine and enduring love for learning, to teach them to read, write, and think critically, to instill in them the capacity for both independent and collaborative action, and to educate them to explore and understand the natural, social and cultural worlds in which they live. In so doing, the College seeks to foster in its students qualities of intellect, creativity, and character, that they may live fulfilling lives and contribute meaningfully to their occupations, their communities, and their world.
Lancaster: A Great Place to Live!
The campus is located in a residential neighborhood in Lancaster, PA, a vital, historic city in a county of over 500,000 residents, with easy access to Philadelphia, Baltimore, New York, and Washington, D.C. Lancaster offers both a diverse, urban environment and lush, rolling farmland. Residents enjoy charming historic districts and historical landmarks, a vibrant arts and cultural scene, and dining and shopping to suit every taste.
The Director for Conference and Event Services is responsible for the administration of all Conferences and Events conducted on campus. The Director is responsible for providing exceptional customer service while fostering strong relationships with internal and external partners in an effort to assist in the planning and execution of all College events. The position will have direct oversight of all summer camps and conferences with an emphasis on maintaining and retaining existing external business while seeking new revenue generating opportunities. The Director is accountable for ensuring the external partnerships and programs brought to campus are aligned with the mission of the Institution.
- Serve as liaison between Franklin & Marshall College and both internal & external clients. Maintain client contact to determine set-ups, attendance numbers, services required, meal arrangements, timelines, and any special needs. Meet with clients to discuss their expectations and logistics for events, and then develop and implement plans to meet client needs. Provide expert advice to clients throughout the planning stages from the beginning to end to create a seamless and highly successful conference & event experience.
- Prepare planning documents and oversee the execution and delivery of services for each conference/event. Attend and chair planning meetings with supporting departments to review all events to ensure a successful outcome. Maintain open communications with the campus community concerning upcoming conferences and events which may impact normal operations.
- Work in collaboration with the Assistant Director of Conferences & Event Services, the Conference & Event Services Specialist, the Event Services Manager and the Conference & Events Student Workers to manage a robust conference & events program that includes summer camps and conferences, academic and student events, and department sponsored programs such as Orientation, Homecoming, Convocation, and Commencement.
- Research, develop and solicit new and returning business to ensure advance bookings necessary for successful and profitable operation. Prepare contracts and provide ongoing client relationship management.
- Assist in the selection, training, management, and evaluation of direct reports.
- Generate recommended policies, procedures, and pricing schedules. Plan and establish overall objectives for conference and events while recommending new approaches for conference operations.
- Participate in setting and achieving revenue generation goals.
- Bachelors degree in a related field is required
- Minimum of 4 years experience is required; 5 years progressively responsible experience in event planning and management in a higher education environment. Director level experience preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Google Suite is required
- knowledge of EMS Reservation System is required
- Basic knowledge of Cognos and Banner is required
- The ability and willingness to provide excellent service and to work in a collegial manner with students, faculty and staff, and other constituencies is essential.
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of reference checks, a criminal background verification, and verification of credentials. The College will coordinate these verifications.
Franklin & Marshall College requires all employees to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination by sending a scanned copy of their completed vaccination card to Human Resources. Employees may request a religious or medical vaccination exemption by contacting Human Resources.
Full-time members of the Franklin & Marshall College professional staff receive competitive starting pay and a comprehensive benefits package that includes health coverage, dental, vision, generous retirement savings plan contributions, education benefits for employees, spouses and dependent children, and enjoy access to all College facilities including dining venues to suit all tastes, recreation and fitness facilities, and libraries, plus access to College performances, lectures, and events.
Individuals who need an accommodation due to a disability in order to submit an application or attend an employment interview should contact Human Resources at (717) 358-3995.
Franklin & Marshall is proud to offer a smoke-free work environment.