FBRI HS&T Library Assistant
The Fralin Biomedical Research Institute Health Sciences & Technology (FBRI HS&T) Library boasts collaborative spaces to support the research and learning happening throughout the Virginia Tech Carilion Health Science and Technology Campus in Roanoke, Virginia. Under the direction of the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute Health Sciences and Technology Library Studio Manager the FBRI HS&T Library Assistant position will assist in providing high-quality information services, access to collections, and additional resources to support the education and research needs of programs related to the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute, Virginia Tech, and Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine (VTCSOM). The FBRI HS&T Library Assistant position will utilize welcoming, patron-centered methods to support the overall daily operations of the FBRI HS&T Library, to include answering information and basic reference questions from patrons, providing support with using technologies offered through the library (e.g. laptop checkouts, study rooms reservations, 3D printing, among others), performing circulation functions when needed, troubleshooting technology equipment usage, opening and closing the library on assigned weekdays, managing project communications and outreach activities, update and disseminate project information as needed, and other duties as assigned. This position will entail interacting with all patrons (students, faculty, staff, general public) and oversee student assistants working in the library.
- Experience working in a customer service environment
- Experience working independently without supervision
- Experience demonstrating ability to effectively communicate through oral and written formats
- Demonstrated ability to or experience in troubleshooting and maintaining equipment
- Experience demonstrating proficient computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets
- Familiarity with 3D printing and design technologies
- Experience or interest in teaching others new skills
- Experience prioritizing and organizing work tasks, with attention to detail
- Familiarity with library databases
- Experience working in a library setting
- Knowledge of various CAD and data visualization software
- Demonstrated ability to or experience in using and supporting emerging technologies and hardware
- Experience with 3D printing software such as Blender, Cura, OctoPrint, etc.
- Experience supervising and training others
- Demonstrated experience preparing lesson plans and teaching
- Proven ability to or experience in organizing physical spaces and managing logistics of a public service point
$15.00 - $18.00 hour dependent on education and qualifications
August 17, 2022
Work Schedule: 16-24 hours per week between the hours of Monday-Friday 8am-5pm. Hours include working summer and university break hours
- The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
The University Libraries at Virginia Tech is committed to building a culturally diverse community and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities. We are committed to mentoring and establishing safe spaces, both physical and virtual, where employees from current and historically minoritized groups can thrive.
The members of the University Libraries at Virginia Tech strive individually and collectively to create, sustain, and share inclusive ways of knowing in conscientious community with each other and all the people we serve in every space we shape. In keeping with our Aspirational Identity and the Virginia Tech Principles of Community, the University Libraries commits to build and maintain enduring climates of mutual care, respect, and responsibility.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Cathy Pillow at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.