Job Type: Full time
Job Number: JR-011244Location: Home Office
If you're passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country-and you're committed to working hard to play your part in building that future-consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.INTERNAL EMPLOYEES MUST APPLY BY 7/14/22
The Admissions Counselor Specialist role is a customer service role helping move prospective students through the process of being officially admitted or not admitted to WGU. The ideal candidate for this role will be driven to earn the trust of prospective students and deliver results to students and the admissions team. Strong consideration will be given to candidates who have experience in enrollment, have strong written and oral communication skills, are highly detail oriented and demonstrate courage and personal initiative in their day to day responsibilities here at WGU.
Job Profile Summary:
The Admissions Team helps students & Enrollment Counselors through the enrollment process by ensuring all admissions requirements are met. To do this the Admissions Counselor works closely with Enrollment Counselors, Financial Aid Representatives, Bursars, and Transcript Evaluators. They review each individual student's transcripts and tuition obligations. Admissions Counselors are responsible for the admissions decision status and to ensure all admission requirements have been met.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for processing, accuracy, and quality control for student applications and files as well as helping them complete the enrollment process to start school.
- Provide assistance for student questions concerning admissions, course enrollments, university programs, or system problems.
- Provide information for students regarding the admissions process and their acceptance.
- Communicate to management system errors and incomplete data.
- Assist with student enrollment into WGU's new student orientation course.
- Maintain communication with the Student Services department to facilitate a positive experience for students.
- Dependent on assignment: metrics and goals are discussed, set and achieved based on established benchmarks.
- Able to work on diverse and moderately complex matters independently.
- Able to receive general direction from supervisor and adapt to new environments quickly.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Strong written communication and verbal language skills, demonstrated human relation skills.
- Basic mathematical skills.
- Strong reasoning ability.
- Proactive leadership style.
- Attention to detail in administrative work.
- Strong customer/student service skills and experience
- Ability to multi-task and attention to detail
- Strong written communication and verbal language skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Reasoning ability.
- Computer proficiency
Competencies: Organizational Impact:
- Works to achieve operational targets within job areas impacting department, function, or office results.
- Work is performed independently on moderately complex projects and assignments with some guidance required for direction and complex tasks. Sets objectives for oneself to meet the goals of projects or assignments.
Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Responsible for employing adjustments or recommended enhancements to systems and processes to solve problems or improve the job area's effectiveness while leveraging a systems thinking approach.
- Problems faced may require an understanding of a broader set of issues and job areas.
Communication & Influence:
- Collaborates with contacts typically within the job area to obtain or provide information requiring some explanation or interpretation.
Leadership & Talent Management
- May provide guidance and assistance to entry-level professionals and or support employees.
- Demonstrates the WGU leadership principles in all aspects of service to students, employees, and partners of WGU.
- Bachelor's degree and 2+ years of related experience, or an advanced degree without experience.
Department Specific Minimum Qualifications:
- 1-2 years of Enrollment/Admissions or relevant experience.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Disclaimer: This Job Description has been designed to indicate the general nature, essential duties, and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It does not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications that are required of the employee to do this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This Job Description does not constitute a contract of employment and the University may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.As an equal opportunity employer, we recognize our strength lies in our people and commit to creating an inclusive environment where all can thrive, regardless of race, age, gender orientation, sexual orientation, religion, or disability.
Applicants needing assistance with the hiring process may be entitled to reasonable accommodation. If you need help completing an application or participating in an interview because of a disability, please contact our recruiting team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.