Virginia Tech's Office of Export and Secure Research Compliance (OESRC) seeks to fill the role of a Systems Administrator to join our dynamic team. The System Administrator reports to the Information Technology Manager and will be mainly responsible for maintaining information systems while applying Information System (IS) security principles, practices, and procedures under the Risk Management Framework (RMF). Additionally, the Systems Administrator will develop and maintain all required documentation, ensure systems are operational and compliant with security standards, and report/investigate any known or suspected compromises to information or systems.
This position is located in the Virginia Tech Research Center in Arlington, VA.
- Bachelors' degree in information security or related field or demonstrated progressive professional experience and industry certifications in lieu of the degree
- Experience with systems administration or engineering
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and diagnose routine software and hardware system errors
- Must be a U.S. Citizen due to the nature and sensitivity of the position
- Must have an active Top Secret Clearance with Tier 5 investigation (T5) (within 6 years) and SCI eligibility
- Demonstrated experience in system administration (Windows or Linux).
- Familiarity with Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs), Information Assurance Vulnerability Alerts (IAVAs), and Security Content Automation Protocol (SCAP) Compliance Checker (SCC)
- Excellent organizational and communication skills and the ability to effectively interact with managers and both technical and non-technical staff.
- Current DoD 8570.01-M IAT Level I or higher certification or ability to obtain DoD 8570.01M certification within 6 months of employment.
- Demonstrated customer and project management skills to include strong prioritization, organization, planning, teamwork, problem-solving, and negotiation skills.
- Active Top Secret Clearance with SCI eligibility and Counterintelligence (CI) or full-scope Polygraph, all within scope (within 6 years)
- Active IAT Level I or higher certification in accordance with DoD 8570.01M.
- Demonstrated experience working with IP networks and networking concepts (Switches, Firewalls etc.)
- Certification in systems administration (MCP, LFCS, etc.)
Commensurate with experience
August 24, 2022
This position is located in the Virginia Tech Research Center in Arlington, VA. This position is an on-site position. Opportunities for remote work may be available on occasion. This position is to support an on-going portfolio and is not contract based. Position is eligible for all university and state benefits and retirement.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Lynn Byrdat firstname.lastname@example.org regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.