Head Baseball Coach
Olivet College is located in south central Michigan in the town of Olivet, MI, which is a close knit, rural community offering quiet streets and natural surroundings, yet is not more than 30 minutes from the larger cities of Lansing and Battle Creek. Both are small enough to be friendly and large enough to boast many of the big city amenities.
As part of its commitment to a values-based mission of Education for Individual and Social Responsibility, the College actively seeks diversity in its students, faculty and staff. Women and members of historically underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
The student body is composed of a strong mixture of first-generation, urban, rural and students from all socioeconomic backgrounds, with 50 percent qualifying annually for Federal Pell Grants. Olivet College faculty and staff are committed to providing personalized, individualized attention for students who seek academic and personal success. Olivet College competes in Division III of the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association, the oldest athletic conference in the nation.
The successful candidate will possess the ability to recruit, develop, coach and lead a collegiate men’s baseball program within the standards of Olivet College, the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). Details follow this posting.
The ideal candidate must possess a bachelor’s degree and adequate knowledge about the fundamentals and techniques of baseball obtained through previously coaching at the high school and/or college level. Must be able to be cleared to drive college vehicles.
Along with the educational and sport experience, serious consideration will be given to the candidate whose characteristics coincide with the following principals: maintains and promotes the academic pursuits of Olivet College student-athletes; complies with and reinforces the Comet Athletic Program’s rules and mission; acts professionally and communicates appropriately with the College’s students, coaches, administration, staff, alumni and spectators; possesses a willingness to develop professionally.
Competitive annual salary and comprehensive benefits package, including tuition remission programs.
Click on the application link to go to the Career Center. Then, select this position and click on the “Apply” button to complete a profile, application and upload your cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three references.
Olivet College is an equal opportunity employer and takes affirmative steps to employ women and individuals from historically underrepresented minority groups.
- Directs the operations of the Olivet College Men’s Baseball program within the standards of Olivet College, the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)
- Educates/coaches student-athletes in the sport of baseball.
- Recruits prospective student-athletes according to the enrollment goals and admissions standards of Olivet College and the eligibility requirements of the MIAA and NCAA.
- Selects team members.
- Schedules and coordinates competition schedules, team travel accommodations, team tryouts, practices, meetings, individual workouts and conditioning sessions.
- Coordinates the issuance, care, inventory, and collection of equipment, uniforms and supplies for men’s baseball. Submits appropriate equipment inventory forms to the Athletic Director within the requested times.
- Manages sport’s budget and coordinates team fund raising activities.
- Purchases and manages team equipment and supplies.
- Coordinates facility usage for the men’s baseball program.
- Assists with supervision, management, set-up and clean up at home junior varsity men’s baseball events.
- Submits complete team roster and inventory forms to the Athletic Director.
- Ensures the proper completion of physical examinations and all forms relating to the examinations and emergency medical authorization before a student participates.
- Manages duties and responsibilities of assistant coaches with the approval of the Athletic Director, as needed.
- Coordinates and leads at least one team community service project during each academic year.
- Supervises student-athletes at all times, including practices, meetings, workouts, travel and other team functions.
- Attends all athletic department meetings and appropriate college functions (pep rallies, homecoming, Hall of Fame inductions, etc.).
- Exhibits appropriate conduct with students, coaches, administration, staff, alumni, spectators, officials and opponents at all times.
- Collects and submits appropriate student-athlete eligibility forms.
- Provides leadership that promotes positive attitudes and good sportsmanship.
- Notifies all members of the team of all Comet Athletic Program’s policies, procedures and training rules as they pertain to the team.
- Maintains current certifications in CPR and First Aid to be held on file in the Office of Athletics.
- Submits driving record verification for clearance to drive institutional vehicles.
- Works within the missions and philosophies of the Comet Athletic Program and Olivet College.
- Exhibits personal conduct that promotes attitudes and behaviors among student-athletes that coincide with the policies outlined in the Comet Athletic Handbook.
- Makes decisions that positively affect the Comet Athletic Program.
- Maintains proper perspective regarding the priorities of academics and athletics at Olivet College.