Academic Advisor, Pre-Health
Posting Number: req11090
Department: A Center
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
This position reports to the Associate Director of Pre-Professions in The A Center, a unit within the division of the Office of the Provost. The Pre-Health Academic Advisor will provide academic advising to students from all majors who are interested in pursuing careers in health care (including medicine, dentistry, physician assistant, physical therapy, pharmacy, occupational therapy, and other graduate level health professions), and will assist in the delivery of programming and outreach sponsored by The A Center. This position requires extensive evening and weekend work, and some travel.
The A Center supports advising and student services for all No Major selected students,(undecided) students. In addition, we support students across the university with Pre-Health, Pre-Law, and major exploration advising, and by hosting and participating in special events such as the annual Meet Your Major, Pre-Health and Pre-Law Expos.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide developmental advising, major exploration advising, and informational programs to meet the specific needs of pre-health students pursuing academic programs leading to health related professional school admission.
- Evaluates graduate-level transfer credit and determines whether degree requirements are met.
- Assists & counsel pre-health students in determining educational plans, choosing courses and exploring minors, majors and career options.
- Provide general education academic advising and registration assistance to students enrolled in The A Center.
- Provide supplemental program planning and support for the Pre-Health Professions Advising Program including the development and maintenance of web-based and social media information on academic requirements and admission to health professional schools, and health career options.
- Assist with planning and implementing the annual Pre-Health Information Blast, Health Professions Expo, and Pre-Health Ambassador Program.
- Facilitate related health profession workshops and presentations. Collaborate with The A Center team to provide quality programs and services, including new student and transfer Orientation.
- Participate in university-wide recruitment activities such as "Arizona Experience," UA Road Trips, Outstanding High School Junior Day, various Honors College events, etc. to provide information about the Pre-health Professions Advising Program to prospective students.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of departmental mission, goals, objectives, and programs.
- Assist and support undergraduate PHLT Ambassadors are enrolled in TLS 393 for fall and TLS 493 for spring semester(s).
- Develop a professional network through NAAHP (National Association of Advisors in the Health Professions) or other professional organizations to inform and improve best practices.
- Adept at facilitating connection and building community between students, alumni, medical/health professionals, and other stakeholders
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- 1 year of relevant work experience, including experience in providing academic advising, student affairs, or in teaching/counseling in higher education.
- Experience working with diverse student populations.
- Experience demonstrating sensitivity to needs of a diverse student population.
- Master's degree in Higher Education, Counseling or related field.
- Demonstrated successful experience working with post-secondary students.
- Proficiency with University of Arizona Student Information System (UAccess).
- Experience working with post-secondary students.
- Experience in teaching freshman level courses at a two-year college or four-year undergraduate college/university.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Student Services
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $43,000
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.