(Remote) Business Analyst-ITS Business Analysts-Information Technology Services
West Virginia University Information Technology Services is currently accepting applications for Remote Information Technology Business Analyst
About the Opportunity
As Business Analyst, you will participate in initial project assessments, plans, and estimates. Throughout your day, you will utilize standards in the delivery of plans, designs, program modification, testing and installation of project work. Each step of the way you along with side with others, will recommend design/system alternatives or approaches to WVU's systems requirements.
You will be part of the development process within the academic systems team; however, you will work independently and take ownership of projects while consulting with other team members for guidance and support as needed.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year
- (For when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range ofhealth insurance and other benefits(this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking formore retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs.
What you'll do:
- Effective utilize technical/application analytical skills to research, design, development, and testing to successfully complete tasks in support of ITS projects. Follow established methodology to complete project deliverables on all assigned tasks within established deadlines.
- Utilize analytical skills to identify and solve problem situations. Continually evaluate research, develop, and maintain solutions using evolving methodologies to keep pace with new technologies.
- Able to serve as liaison with technical and functional staff related to specific business applications. Works effectively with technical and functional staff to accomplish project deliverables by sharing knowledge and ideas.
- Prepare technical documentation, including interpretation of business requirements, business process flows, and code according to established standards.
- Work under the direction and supervision of Lead Senior Business Analyst resources to develop expertise within the technical areas they are assigned.
- Communicate information clearly, accurately, and timely to team members. Put forth the efforts necessary to complete project successfully.
- Invest time and effort to continually learn and stay current on changing technology and application landscape.
- Establish positive, professional relationship with functional users and staff. Establish proper communication channels with project and team personnel and respond appropriately to all concerns.
- Understand and adheres to established project management policies and procedures, including meeting project work plans, status reports, and documentation.
- Work effectively with others to accomplish project deliverables by sharing knowledge and ideas. Communicates information clearly, accurately, and timely to project team members. Puts forth the efforts necessary to complete tasks successfully.
- Support WVU's confidentiality and security policies and ensures application compliance.
- Understand and work toward the attainment of WVU's strategic and operational goals. Initiate solutions to perceived gaps and weaknesses in organizational processes or procedures.
- Communicate clearly and concisely in written and oral formats. Foster an environment of teamwork and professionalism.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, or an equivalent combination of education and directly related experience.
A minimum of four (4) years' experience:
- Defining problems, collecting data, gathering requirements, and establishing structure and analysis for complex business issues.
- Experience in writing technical design/solution documents.
- Experience in business process analysis and improvement.
- Software Application testing experience is preferred.
- Application testing experience with higher education software is preferred.
- Knowledge of Ellucian's Banner Student Information System.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work within small to medium sized project teams to deliver against project timelines.
- Ability to communicate to technical and non-technical personnel.
- Ability to drive discussions with multiple subject matter experts to draw out their knowledge and bring them to a consensus.
- Skills in communication (oral and written), problem solving, and process analysis. Understanding of IT processes and system flow. Comfortable communicating and presenting to technical and business resources.
- Aptitude for process and analytical thinking.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team of diverse skill levels and expertise, managing multiple tasks and priorities as needed.
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required in the technical area:
- Experience in application development leveraging a relational database.
- Ability to develop a strong knowledge of SQL and other report writing tools.
- Learn and adjust to changing technical environments.
- Working knowledge of Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Visio programs.
- Broad knowledge of business application development methodologies.
- Ability to develop comprehensive solutions considering implications and delivering a workable solution.
- Seated at computer or telephone - Daily
- Lifting lightweight objects/bending and kneeling to file - Daily
- Lifting 20-40 lb. computers and equipment - Monthly
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU's academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Aug 1, 2022
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes