(Hybrid) Assistant Director, Ascend WV-Smith Outdoor Economic Development Collaborative
TheBrad and Alys Smith Outdoor Economic Development Collaborativeis currently accepting applications for an Assistant Director.
About the Opportunity:
Reporting to the Ascend WV Director within the Brad and Alys Smith Outdoor Economic Development Collaborative (Smith OEDC), the Assistant Director will be responsible for assisting with the implementation, operations, oversight, and evolution of the Ascend WV program. The Assistant Director will be a self-starter who shows a high aptitude for adaptability, team leadership, task completion, project development, and applied learning toward overall program improvement. Responsibilities include but are not limited to program management, participant community building, benchmarking, data analysis, and day to day operations. This position serves to support the implementation of innovative programming for remote workers across five locations that fosters a sense of community, team building, professional collaboration, and creates a connection to the region, the outdoors, and the state. This includes professional development, socials, outdoor experiences, volunteer opportunities, and orientation events throughout the program duration. The position also operationalizes the necessary systems for managing recruitment, selection, and program operations.
At WVU Research Corporation, we strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU Research Corporation offers a comprehensive benefits package with a variety of options to suit your needs:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 403(b) retirement savings with a fully vested 3% employee contribution match, (Employees have the option of contributing an additional 1-3% of their earnings to the plan, which is also matched by the WVURC)
- A range ofhealth insurance and various other benefits
- Dependent Education Scholarship
- WVU Perks
What You'll Do:
Program Management and Implementation:
- Ensure that all components of the Ascend program are in compliance with risk management, communication, tracking, and evaluation guidelines.
- Operationalize timelines for the participant journey from application through program duration.
- Ensure that coordinators follow through with a comprehensive and cohesive Ascend program calendar.
- Support the program coordinators in each location with coworking space facility management and outdoor gear library selection, inventory, and maintenance.
- Monitor the day-to-day operations of all five locations and ensure compliance according to established best practices.
- Manage the application and selection process which includes the associated systems for each.
- Manage participant recruitment and retention strategies.
- Work with the Director to set annual program goals and ensure that these goals are being met.
- Travel to the various locations as needed for location program implementation.
- Complete other duties as assigned and established.
Program Development and Evaluation:
- Support the implementation of the strategic vision, mission, and direction for the Ascend WV program as it scales to reach program goals.
- Collect and analyze data for use in reports, updates, and presentations.
- In collaboration with the Director and program partners, develop and implement organizational systems for data collection, analysis, and storage.
Supervision and Engagement:
- In alignment with WVU policies and procedures, implement the departmental policies and procedures that are in place to support staff in successfully implementing the Ascend WV program.
- Along with the Director, provide training and tools to the staff who will assist with coordinating the program and oversight of activities.
- Assist in managing a remote team, as Ascend coordinators are geographically spread out through the state.
- Represent the remote work program in public forums and conferences as needed.
- Bachelor's required in Business, Management, Communications, Community Development, Public Administration, Leadership, Recreation, or related field.
- Masters in related field preferred.
A minimum of two (2) years' experience:
- Progressive program development and management.
- Experience in personnel supervision and training.
- Experience building, implementing, and maintaining organizational systems.
- Technical experience with computer software, project tracking, and reporting.
- Experience with outdoor recreation and the outdoor economy is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to maintain positive relationships with multiple diverse professional constituencies.
- Ability to be innovative, strategic, adaptable, and thoughtful as the program scales.
- Ability to evaluate and consistently improve programs.
- Demonstrated skills in team leadership, training, and collaborative work.
- Demonstrated technical aptitude to create systems and software as needed to improve and advance program operations.
- Analytical skills to identify problems, assess alternatives, and offer consistent logical solutions.
- Experience preparing assessment & evaluation tools, professional reports, presentations, and articles.
- Detail-oriented, with aptitude to manage day-to-day operations while advancing projects toward future goals.
- Skilled in communicating complex ideas to a variety of constituencies.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working in shared office space, remotely, and with a dispersed team.
- Self-starter with the ability to manage and follow-through multiple responsibilities simultaneously in a timely manner and fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends, and long days when appropriate to see a project from start to finish.
- Intrinsically motivated toward program success and personal professional development.
- Wilderness First Aid or ability to obtain in 6 months of hiring.
- Valid US driver's license required.
About Research Corporation
The WVURC was created as a not-for-profit corporation in 1985 to support research (R1) at West Virginia University. We provide evaluation, development, patenting, management, and marketing services for inventions of the faculty, staff and students of the University.
The WVURC receives and administers funds awarded by external agencies for research and other activities and is responsible for helping protect intellectual property through patents, copyrights and licensing agreements for start-up companies based on University research.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic environment is core to WVURC's mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Jul 29, 2022
Posting Classification: Research Corporation
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes