ADA Van Driver - Transportation Services
The Transportation Services department of Transportation & Parking is seeking applications for an ADA Van Driver. This position is responsible for transporting mobility impaired students by providing the necessary care and assistance, maintaining records/trip sheets, and operating specially equipped vehicles for handicapped persons.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 15 annual leave (vacation) days per year or more based on years of service (employee leave)
- 18 sick days per year
(for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What you'll do:
- Use a specially equipped mini bus to transport mobility impaired passengers, stopping designated locations and following a pre-determined schedule.
- Assist mobility impaired persons with various adaptive devices, as well as rider transfer from motorized scooter or wheel chair to a passenger seat; secure motorized equipment for a safe transport of rider and equipment.
- Adhere to WVU, State and Federal transportation regulations, protocols and procedures.
- Communicate daily with scheduler of on-going operations and serve as a scheduler as needed. This will include determining whether schedule can be maintained and communicating changes as needed.
- Maintain records of trips/persons transported and submit monthly reports to supervisor.
- Inspect assigned bus and maintain responsibility for safe operating conditions, as well as exterior and interior cleaning and daily fuel and fluid checks.
- Enforce parking regulations in assigned area through dissemination of information and issuing citations.
- Assist with fee collections at the Mountainlair Parking Garage and short term parking areas on campus, which involves handling large sums of cash.
- Complete required maintenance in parking areas, including operating self-propelled pressurized line painting machine, washing down parking structures, sweeping and cleaning, and making minor repairs, as needed.
- File complaints and appear in county magistrate court and provide sworn testimony regarding parking enforcement and witnessed criminal activities.
- Direct the parking and flow of pedestrian and vehicle travel during campus events and assists University Police in other traffic related matters.
- High school diploma or GED
- At least one (1) year of experience in the following required:
- Driving vehicles weighing between 10,000 lbs and 26,000 lbs.
- Cash handling
- Computer operations
- Customer service experience
- At least one (1) year of experience in the following preferred:
- Aiding/assisting disabled persons
- Operating disability equipment
- Dealing with the public and difficult people
- Experience driving in congested and residential areas
- Bus maintenance
- Planning and executing daily routes
- Record keeping
- Must obtain a Class D Chauffeur's License valid in West Virginia within 30 days of hire
- Must obtain the following within 6 months of hire:
- Emergency first-aid and CPR certification
- Certification in wheelchair passenger assistance equipment
- HIPPA certification
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU's academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.Job Posting: Aug 1, 2022
Posting Classification: Classified
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes