HVAC Refrigeration Mechanic Lead
Posting Number: req11157
Department: Residential Facilities
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
Position HighlightsHousing & Residential Life (Housing), a self-funded auxiliary housed in the Student Affairs division of the University of Arizona, operates 23 dorms and a graduate apartment complex that house over 7,000 students annually on the University of Arizona Main Campus.
Our Mission: Helping Students Build a Foundation for Success
Our Core Values:
- Excellence -Excellence is performing at an extraordinary level and exceeding expectations
- Respect - Respect is treating others courteously and professionally in all situations; valuing and honoring diversity in others; being honest, direct, and courteous in all communications and loyal to all, including those not present
- Integrity - Integrity is doing the right thing, being honest with oneself and others, being authentic, and being transparent in intent
- Caring - Caring is being welcoming, kind, compassionate, and willing to help others; showing concern for a person's needs; listening more and talking less
The HVAC/Refrigeration Mechanic, Lead, reporting to Shop Supervisor, assigns and inspects the work of HVAC Refrigeration Mechanics assigned to perform building preventive maintenance in all the Housing facilities. This position is responsible for initiating corrective actions to secure satisfactory standards and timely project completion and participates in the installation, repairs, and overhauls; and maintenance of heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) or refrigeration systems, including performing complex and precision work related to hydronic piping systems. The HVAC Refrigeration Mechanic, Lead will also perform welding techniques in the design, layout, fabrication joining, and repair of piping, consistent with Journey Pipefitter level skills. This person will maintain and repair boilers, chilled water system components and related equipment in University dorms and apartments; and will perform other tasks which, combined, comprise of a preventive maintenance program for Housing Facilities. This position requires driving University vehicles and/or golf carts.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please visit talent.arizona.edu
Duties & Responsibilities
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assigns and participates in the installation, inspection, and maintenance of chilled water related water pumps, valves, regulators, check valves, electric and pneumatic controls, gear boxes, related energy management equipment, etc.
- Assigns "SchoolDude" work order tickets and inspects the work of HVAC Refrigeration Mechanic in their daily tasks and duties.
- Provides material purchase needs to HVAC Refrigeration Mechanic, maintains, and controls a material inventory for all building needs, processes invoices and paperwork for supplies and equipment.
- Assigns and participates in the installation, maintenance, and repair of boilers and related equipment; e.g., piping, heat exchangers, (steam and electric feed), control valves, etc.
- Assigns and participates in the installation, maintenance and repair of HVAC related equipment; direct expansion air conditioning equipment e.g., tanks, pumps, timers, valves, regulators, electric and pneumatic controls, etc.
- Assigns and participates in the installation, maintenance, and repair air handlers and related equipment; e.g., air supply/return/ exhaust motors, fans and vents.
- Inspects, tests, maintains, and repairs generators and related equipment.
- Maintains and repairs circulating pumps and related equipment for domestic water systems.
- Participates in Housing Emergency On-Call Program.
- Inspects, tests, maintains, and repairs fire extinguishing systems; including standard testing of related building fire safety equipment.
- Works with department supervisors and staff in maintaining established preventative maintenance program for all housing facilities.
- Performs facility inspections, document work request activity and related requirements.
- Maintains Plant Maintenance shop inventory, tools, and equipment.
- Assists with various departmental activities during the August student Move-in process.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Housing & Residential Life goals and objectives.
- Some positions in this classification may required to obtain the Chlorofluorocarbons Certification upon employment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES :
- Knowledge of the tools, equipment, and materials common to the trade.
- Knowledge of all applicable codes, standards, and regulations.
- Skill in installation, repair, and maintenance of all systems and assignments common to the trade.
- Skill in estimating time and material requirements for work projects.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- High school diploma or equivalent AND seven years of progressively responsible HVAC or refrigeration equipment installation, maintenance, and repair experience OR Completion of a four year federally approved technical training program in the installation, repair, and maintenance of HVAC or refrigeration equipment AND three years of HVAC or refrigeration installation, maintenance, and repair experience.
- Valid Driver's License and ability to drive according to the University Fleet Safety Policy.
- 5 years HVAC equipment experience within the University Of Arizona Residential Housing Buildings.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Facilities, Grounds and Infrastructure
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $25.71 - $26.28
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level
Facil, Grounds, & Infra
Type of criminal background check required: Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to title or department)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.