Operations Coordinator - Men's Basketball
West Virginia University Division/College is currently accepting applications for an Operations Coordinator for WVU Men's Basketball.
About the Opportunity
As a Operations Coordinator for Men's Basketball, you will assist the Director of Operations with the administrative functions for the men's basketball program.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year
- (for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits (this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What you'll do:
- Assist Director of Operations with the administrative functions for the men's basketball program.
- Assist with the logistical aspects of on-campus recruiting of prospective student-athletes.
- Assist with the coordination, planning and executing of annual clinic for high school coaches, including organization, setup, meals, registration, exhibiting vendors and guest speakers.
- Assist with athletic travel coordinator, all team and recruiting travel arrangements, including air and ground transportation, hotel accommodations and meals.
- Manage, in coordination with athletic travel coordinator, housing arrangements for student-athletes including rooming arrangements, check-in and behavior oversight. Responsible for housing arrangements during University holiday breaks.
- Coordinate dining services, including establishing all meal times, planning with training table vendor, approving all invoices for payment and administering meal plans for scholarship and non-scholarship student-athletes.
- Assist with the allocation, assignment and distribution of player/staff guest tickets for all home and away games. Responsible for the distribution of high school coaches admissions to home games.
- Assist with securing practice times and sites for away games.
- Assist with managing the student manager program, including selection, scheduling and assigning duties.
- .Assist with managing the annual awards dinner including developing program, administering awards and coordination with dining service.
- Help to manage the summer jobs program for student-athletes.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the Director of Operations.
- Report directly to the Head Men's Basketball Coach; must also work closely with all others involved with carrying out the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletic program.
- Maintain knowledge of and comply with all rules, regulations, policies and guidelines of West Virginia University, the Big East Conference and the NCAA; must adhere to NCAA Bylaw 11.1 Conduct of Athletic Personnel. Failure to adhere to these policies will result in appropriate disciplinary action including possible suspension and termination.
- Exhibit a level of expertise in their professional fields; must also treat the academic requirements necessary for progress toward a degree as a matter of the highest priority for the student-athletes in their charge and must actively encourage them to succeed academically and graduate.
- Represent the University on the highest professional level with dignity, integrity, and strength of character and will exhibit ethical behavior; must respect the rights and dignity of individuals with sensitivity to problems that may arise from racial and ethnical differences.
- Demonstrate a cooperative attitude towards the news media and external consistencies in order to promote the men's basketball program.
- Demonstrate a cooperative attitude towards all sports within the intercollegiate athletic program.
- Possess the ability to adapt to any situation, make decisions and work independently; position must have the ability to build and maintain relationships with student-athletes, coaches, staff members and constituencies; required to use creative abilities to develop new techniques and approaches in dealing with many issues controlled by this position; responsibilities of the position are ever-changing and require constant education; requires the ability to adapt to any situation and make decisions.
- Manage sensitive and confidential information related to student-athletes, coaches and staff utilizing discretion and correct decisions. Failure to use proper discretion at required level could result in major and significant embarrassment to the University and/or have a significant impact on image, revenues and eligibility of student-athletes.
- Manage professional and personal time to be handle time sensitive-issues, tight deadlines, extended hours beyond the normal workday, weekend work, extensive travel and on-call availability.
- Faithfully and diligently execute related duties of the department, as requested or assigned by the Head Men's Basketball Coach.
- A Bachelor's degree, preferably in sport administration, business or similar field.
- Relative experience may be substituted for degree education.
- Master's degree is preferred.
- A minimum of 2years of experience involving:
- Previous experience in coaching, operations or administration of Division I basketball program
- Strong knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations; computer literate, exceptional organizational abilities and strong communication skills.
- Experience with and complete knowledge of the sport of basketball.
- Maintain high standard of ethics and integrity related to intercollegiate athletics.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Division I intercollegiate athletics.
- Demonstrated knowledge of NCAA and conference policy and regulations.
- Exhibit strong creative, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of correct English, grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence structure
- Demonstrated ability in public speaking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to function professionally under high stress and confrontational circumstances.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks for extended period of time.
- Demonstrated ability to independently plan and organize work.
- Proactive attitude towards work and assignments
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and develop personal contacts with outside groups, i.e. vendors, prospective student-athletes, professional representatives, fans, media, sponsors, University community.
- Demonstrated knowledge of record keeping and adherence to schedule.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn University and department policies and procedures.
- Ability to stay abreast of information impacting the affected area.
- Demonstrated ability to drive and travel via motor vehicle.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and motivate groups and individuals.
- Ability to maintain proper unit attendance and punctuality standards, work extended hours including nights and weekends (often with extensive walking and standing).
- Demonstrated skills in collegiate men's basketball operations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of effected areas of involvement.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a personal computer utilizing various word processing, desk publishing and accounting software and other standard office equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer video software programs.
Valid Driver's license.
About WVUWhy WVU?
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU's academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Aug 1, 2022
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes