Assistant Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations
Assumption University is a comprehensive, Catholic liberal arts institution sponsored by the Augustinians of the Assumption. We awaken in students a sense of wonder, discovery, and purpose, forming graduates known for their intellectual seriousness, thoughtful citizenship, and devotion to the common good. Our curricular and co-curricular programs provide students with an education that shapes their souls, forms them intellectually, and prepares them for meaningful careers. We are a diverse community that welcomes different points of view and embraces all who share our mission. Enlivened by the Catholic affirmation of the harmony of faith and reason and by the pursuit of the truth in the company of friends, an Assumption education transforms the minds and hearts of students. An Equal Opportunity Employer. Assumption favors diversity, ecumenically welcomes all who share its goals, and strongly encourages applicants from underrepresented racial minorities to apply.
Assumption University is a private, Catholic university which offers its 2,500 undergraduate and graduate students a Catholic liberal education. The University is located in Worcester, Massachusetts, New England's second largest city that "combines the warmth of a small town with the convenience of a thriving city."
BASIC PURPOSE: In support of the mission of the University the Assistant Vice President for Development and Alumni relations works closely with the Vice President and major gift officers on the development of fundraising strategies, major gift solicitation for the Office of University Advancement. In this role, the Asst. VP will supervise both the directors of the Assumption Fund and Alumni Relations, ensuring that their goals support the overall goals of the department and are met. Work together in creating a successful development strategy to raise both dollars and alumni participation through the Assumption Fund and engaging alumni through campus and regional programming coordinated by Alumni Relations.
1. Identifies, qualifies, cultivates, solicits and stewards major gift prospects capable of 5-figure to 7-figure gifts, as well as planned gifts.
2. Work with the Vice President, major gift colleagues, Director of Research along with the Assumption Fund and Alumni staff to develop relationships and information pertaining to major gift prospects. Increase momentum with donors and prospects by shifting from transactional fundraising to a more engagement-focused fundraising program.
3. Maintains a portfolio of prospects, developing and driving fundraising strategies that will advance individual relationships. 40-50% of his/her time will be spent traveling in order to be in contact with these individuals by territory. Work to maintain and manage relationships with individual donors as well as corporate and foundation connections.
4. Work closely with leadership on designing and implementing a development strategy.
5. Plan and develop strategies for the solicitation of major prospects by the President, Vice President, University Deans and University volunteers. Provide follow-up support to cultivate, close gifts and provide stewardship.
6. Assist the Vice President in planning and implementing divisional priorities and strategies consistent with the strategic long-range plan of the University.
7. Develops and maintains relationships with University Deans, Administration and Staff to coordinate and execute strategies to secure major gifts for the support of programs and projects.
8. Possesses a familiarity with and an understanding of the principles and techniques associated with planned giving. Works with the University vendor to produce planned giving proposals and documentation for the Finance Office for charitable gift annuity taxation information for auditors.
9. Participate in the planning and coordinating of annual major gift travel events and, when appropriate, campaign events.
10. Provide staff support to the University Advancement Sustainability Committee of the Board of Trustees.
11. Gathers and records information about prospects and donors working with the Director of Research and using the University's database.
12. Assists with events, grant writing, donor communications, annual campaigns and other projects as needed.
* Must be willing to contribute actively to the mission of the University as well as show and understanding of and a respect for the Catholic and Assumptionist identity of Assumption University;
* Bachelor's degree required; Master's preferred;
* Minimum of eight years development experience with progressive leadership responsibilities, preferably in an academic setting;
* Excellent communications and organizational skills.
* Ability to work evenings and weekends, and to travel extensively;
* Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality;
* Strong knowledge of computer systems;
* Ability to engage and motivate staff members and volunteers;
* Vaccinated and boostered for COVID-19, required.
* Interacts on a regular basis with the President's Office, University Deans, administrators, faculty, staff, students, alumni, parents and friends of the University.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands listed are typical of those an employee must meet to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. We may make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform those duties. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, see, hear, read, write, walk, sit, stand, stoop, kneel or bend; reach with hands and arms; use office equipment such as computer, telephone, calculator, and fax machine. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
MENTAL DEMANDS: The mental demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Examples of mental demands include reading (documents), detailed work, confidentiality, language, math, reasoning, oral communications, written communications, multiple concurrent tasks, interruptions, and performing calculations when necessary.
Please be sure to submit your cover letter addressing qualifications for this position along with your resume.