Manager, Communications and Media Relations (UArizona Health Sciences), Phoenix, AZ (UPDATED)
Posting Number: req11139
Department: UAHS Communications
Location: Greater Phoenix Area
Address: Phoenix, AZ USA
Position HighlightsPlease Note: Location of position has been changed to Phoenix, AZ. The Manager of Communications and Media Relations is responsible for implementing day-to-day communications for the University of Arizona Health Sciences Office of Communications in the areas of general content development, media relations, and media monitoring and reporting.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Communications/Digital Content and Media Relations, the Manager serves a key role in planning and developing engaging news releases to support UArizona Health Sciences' brand and strategic priorities, and general educational and research objectives. The Manager utilizes best practices for media relations, including pitching content and experts to journalists and assisting with media requests for interviews. The Manager conducts daily media monitoring to capture and analyze UArizona Health Sciences' presence in print, online and broadcast media outlets, and ensures media relations activities are coordinated with communicators in Health Sciences' colleges and centers in Tucson and Phoenix.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Write news releases and media advisories and assists with distribution to media outlets.
- Pitch relevant content to reporters and journalists.
- Develop content and implement media relations plans to ensure visibility of UArizona Health Sciences brand and strategic priorities, programs, education, and research achievements among key external audiences, including prospective students and faculty, alumni, donors, and other affinity groups.
- Cultivate relationships with local, regional and national media to include reporters, editors, assignment editors, producers, executive producers, etc.
- Respond to requests for information from media and the public pertaining to UArizona Health Sciences colleges, centers and UArizona Health Sciences areas of expertise to maximize and amplify messages.
- Develop targeted media lists for distribution of news releases and specific pitching opportunities.
- Monitor media outlets to inform and compose the daily news summary, which provides analysis and context for senior leadership and key university stakeholders to fully understand the tone and scope of UArizona Health Sciences external media coverage.
- Manage media metrics for UArizona Health Sciences, tracking reputation and brand coverage on a monthly, quarterly and yearly basis with emphasis on strategic and brand priorities.
- Coordinate with communications staff at college and center level to support coverage with media lists, pitching and expert placement.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience is required.
Preferred QualificationsPreferred Qualifications:
*Bachelor's or master's degree in journalism, communications, public relations or a related field.
*Experience working in a professional news media outlet or public university, preferably an academic medical center.
*Strong background in science writing or science communications.
*Works to influence others to accept job function's practices and accept new concepts, practices, and approaches.
*Requires communication with executive leadership regarding matters of significant importance to the institution. May conduct briefings with senior leaders.
*Work is performed without appreciable direction. Exercises considerable latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignments.
*Work may be reviewed at a high level.
*Might supervise 1-2 individuals who provide tactical / operational support.
*Complete knowledge of all job functions and the broad industry best practices, techniques and standards.
*Exhibits ability to transfer knowledge and application of complex principles, theories and concepts to peers.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Communication and Marketing
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: DOE
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Communications & Marketing
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Lisa Black | firstname.lastname@example.org
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.