Lab Technician - Department of Biochemistry
West Virginia University Research Corporation is seeking applications for a Lab Technician with the Department of Biochemistry
About the Opportunity
The Department of Biochemistry at West Virginia University is currently recruiting for a Laboratory Technician position. The purpose of this position is to work with the Principal Investigator (PI) on research in the field of regulation of energy metabolism, including obesity and diabetes, involving molecular biology and model animal (mice) approaches.
The selected candidate will be responsible for basic laboratory duties including but not limited to laboratory and mouse colony organization and maintenance, ordering reagents and supplies, preparing buffers and media, enzymatic assays, western blotting, PCR and RT-PCR. Candidates with prior laboratory experience will be given priority, but training in all the procedures will be provided.
The incumbent will be trained in the use molecular biology and biochemistry methods for a variety of applications, as needed. The incumbent will also assist other laboratory staff and with the generation of data and development of manuscripts for publication.
At WVU Research Corporation, we strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU Research Corporation offers a comprehensive benefits package with a variety of options to suit your needs:
* 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
* 403(b) retirement savings with a fully vested 3% employee contribution match, (Employees have the option of contributing an additional 1-3% of their earnings to the plan, which is also matched by the WVURC)
* A range of health insurance and various other benefits
* Dependent Education Scholarship
* WVU Perks
* And More!!
What you'll do:
- Laboratory organization and equipment maintenance, ordering reagents and supplies, cleaning and autoclaving laboratory glassware
- Understanding and utilizing laboratory protocols and protocols from current literature
- Help with tissue, fluid collection and the maintenance of mouse colonies
- Preparation of media and general lab solutions and assistance with laboratory experiments carried out in the laboratory that are essential for the achieving goals of the research projects
- Maintain a well-organized notebook documenting experimental protocols and data
- Informally train other staff and students as needed.
- Communicate with others in the lab and the department on ongoing experiments, shared resources, maintenance, and safety issues
- Ensure compliance with safety regulations
- Bachelor's degree in biochemistry/molecular biology or related field
- Two (2) years of experience in biological research
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to work with laboratory animals
- Ability to modify and optimize research protocols as needed for the successful completion of the specific experiment
- Knowledge of laboratory environment and appropriate procedures.
- Skilled at assessing chemical concentrations/amounts of various chemical components in solutions
- Skilled in using Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies and interactions with each other and the environment
- Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals, and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Skilled at using scientific rules and methods to solve problems
- Skilled at using basic laboratory equipment
- Ability to teach, train, oversee and assist other staff, postdoctoral fellows and graduate students
- Excellent organizational skills and self-motivation
- Willingness and ability to learn new protocols in a rapid manner
- Ability to get along with others in a group setting
About Research Corporation
The WVURC was created as a not-for-profit corporation in 1985 to support research (R1) at West Virginia University. We provide evaluation, development, patenting, management, and marketing services for inventions of the faculty, staff and students of the University.
The WVURC receives and administers funds awarded by external agencies for research and other activities and is responsible for helping protect intellectual property through patents, copyrights and licensing agreements for start-up companies based on University research.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic environment is core to WVURC's mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Jul 29, 2022
Posting Classification: Research Corporation
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes