Research Technician I (Yuma, AZ)
Posting Number: req11087
Address: Yuma, AZ USA
Position HighlightsThe University of Arizona's Yuma Center of Excellence for Desert Agriculture (YCEDA) seeks a full-time laboratory research technician for a laboratory in Yuma, Arizona. This position will assist the YCEDA laboratory manager with daily lab operations supporting research in wastewater-based epidemiology and other public health and agriculture related projects. It is expected that the individual will work closely with other lab personnel and with the various public and private entities requesting lab services. The successful candidate must be efficient, able to work independently and collaboratively, must have or be able to obtain a valid driver's license, and possess strong organizational and communication skills.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintain detailed and timely records.
- Collect samples from the source.
- Receive and label samples according to standard procedures.
- Operate and maintain laboratory equipment.
- Clean and sanitize workspaces and equipment according to SOP guidelines.
- Clean and sterilize glassware and other supplies.
- Ensure that all safety guidelines and waste disposal procedures are always strictly followed.
- Monitor inventory and assist in the acquisition of equipment and supplies.
- Assist with project related administrative duties.
- Assist with the preparing and processing of samples under BSL-2 conditions.
- Flexible schedule with ability to work weekends and outside normal work hours if needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
- Strong organizational skills.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience.
- Experience as a Lab Technician or relevant position.
- Experience in operating electrical and nonelectrical laboratory equipment.
- Experience in handling potential biohazardous materials.
- Must be able to drive according to the University Fleet Safety Policy.
- Experience working in a BSL-2 laboratory.
- Associate's or Bachelor of Science degree in biological sciences.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Research
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $13.50 - $17.69
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level
Research & Lab
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Associate Director, Operations
Yuma Center of Excellence of Desert Agriculture (YCEDA)
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.