Coach, Adaptive Athletics (Part-Time)
Posting Number: req11098
Department: Disability Resource Center
Location: Main Campus
Address: 1224 E Lowell Street, Tucson, AZ 85721 USA
The purpose of this position is to coach one or more of the adaptive athletic sport teams at the University of Arizona. This individual has full responsibility for the instruction, scheduling, travel arrangements and competitions for specific sport teams. In conjunction with the Assistant Director, the Head Coach sets budget priorities and monitors team expenses accordingly. Support the Assistant Director in areas of promotion and development related to the sports.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; sick leave and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Serve as the Head Coach for the Wheelchair Rugby program
- Provide instruction and teaching in wheelchair rugby at regularly scheduled team practice sessions, as well as individual sessions as needed.
- Determine the appropriate team travel schedule and coordinate all transportation and housing accommodations.
- Planning and coordination of on campus sport related events, tournaments, and activities.
- Direct the fitting, ordering, maintaining and inventory of sports related equipment.
- Assist with the strength and conditioning training on a team and individual basis.
- Recruitment of athletes. This may include possible travel to local, regional, and national competitions for recruiting purposes. Coordinate recruitment visits with the Athletic Director and Recruiting Coordinator
- Provide clear and timely communication with current athletes and potential recruits, including individual meetings to determine athletic and academic progress. This includes adherence to university and team codes of conduct and disciplinary decisions.
- Supervise assistant coaches and volunteers.
- Work with the Athletic Director to monitor team expenses and project annual expenses and budget needs.
- Serve as support staff for all athletic teams and activities.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Knowledge of specific sport strategies and techniques.
knowledge of community resources
written and interpersonal communication skills
- Working knowledge of common computer applications
(e.g. word processing and database
skills for team dynamics and community/event
- BA in Therapeutic Recreation. Kinesiology, Adaptive Physical Education, Sports Management, Exercise Physiology, or a related field.
- Three years of experience in adaptive athletics.
- Experience indicating leadership ability and/or teaching skills.
- Master's degree in Therapeutic Recreation. Kinesiology, Adaptive Physical Education, Sports Management, Exercise Physiology, or a related field.
- Three years of coaching experience.
- Six years of experience in adaptive athletics.
Full Time/Part Time: Part Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 20
Job FTE: .50
Work Calendar: Academic
Job Category: Athletics
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $22.95
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.