Director of Introduction to Clinical Medicine II
DIRECTOR OF INTRODUCTION TO CLINICAL MEDICINE (MAINE CAMPUS)
The University of Medicine and Health Sciences (UMHS) is a modern medical school fully accredited by ACCM and recognized by the US Department of Education through NCFMEA. We have invested over 100 million dollars in developing one of the most state-of-the-art campuses in the Caribbean. Students complete their Basic Science Program in two years in St. Kitts and then transition to our clinical campus in Maine for their fifth semester. Upon completion of the fifth semester, students sit for USMLE Step 1 and then complete their clinical program at over 20 affiliated teaching hospitals located in the US, Puerto Rico and Canada.
We are seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Director of the Fifth Semester Program. The position is full time and is based at the UMHS campus in South Portland, Maine. The position is supported by two direct reports: (1) a director of the USMLE review program and (2) a director of operations who manages administrative staff and day to day operations of the campus. The position reports to the Provost.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the design and development of the Introduction to Clinical Medicine II course and the Biological Basis of Clinical Medicine (USMLE Review program) with overall responsibility for development and management of the Fifth Semester program
- Serves as a principal teacher for ICM including class lectures, Clinical/Pathologic Cases (CPCs), participation as preceptor in Virtual Clinic and small groups, and providing additional lectures as needed
- Organizes the curriculum including (a) planning classroom curriculum; (b) planning Virtual Clinic including case writing, preceptor and standardized patient training and supervision; (c) planning supplemental lectures; (d) organizing Clinical Skills Lab and supervising staff; (e) develop and update student evaluations including Virtual Clinic assessment and professionalism assessment; and (f) recruiting and coordinating with physician preceptors
- Evaluation and oversight of students including all tests, participating in Virtual Clinic assessment, reading and grading student written work: (a) case histories, clinical journals, case presentation; (b) evaluate student professionalism performance; (c) and evaluation of student overall academic performance; (d) provide student advisement
- Participates in the continued development of the integrated USMLE review program with the Clinical Medicine course and participates on the university curriculum committee and disciplinary committee as it relates to the Fifth Semester.
Qualifications & Skills Required:
- MD or DO degree and 10 years of experience in clinical medicine
- Prefer 5 years of teaching experience in a medical school
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills along with superior interpersonal skills
- Superb judgment, problem-solving and cognitive skills
- Superior leadership skills
Salary is commensurate with training and experience.
UMHS is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer.