The Communications Manager is responsible for strategic oversight and alignment of a united communications program and marketing strategy for all departments reporting to the Vice President for Enterprise Administration and Business Services (Virginia Tech Police Department, Office of Emergency Management, Environmental Health and Safety, Transportation Services, Mail Services, and support units). This role aligns activities with university-wide communications, marketing, and brand initiatives established by Virginia Tech's University Relations.
The Communications Manager works closely with department heads to enhance knowledge-share both internal to the division as well as to the university community and the broader external community. The Communications Manager reports to the Chief of Staff for Enterprise Administrative and Business Services and has a dotted line responsibility to the Senior Director of Communications for the EVPCBO.
- Bachelor's Degree in communications, journalism, or related field and/or an equivalent level of
- Substantial skill in developing communication, web and social marketing materials, strong
- Working knowledge and understanding of effective graphic design and branding principles and
- Ability to distill complex information into descriptions appropriate for a wide range of
- Ability to work with various personnel, collaborate on projects, and perform responsibilities in a
- Proven ability to work with and keep sensitive data and information confidential.
- Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities in a dynamic environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to the values expressed in the Virginia Tech Principles of
- Master's Degree in communications, journalism, or related field.
- Experience working in a multicultural environment.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with others.
- Experience with communications governance.
- Experience with website implementation/redesign.
- Experience as a photographer or with effective selection and use of photography to
- Experience working with various creative communications, data analytics, email management,
Commensurate with experience
August 22, 2022
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Dee Perkins at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.