Research Scientist (Hybrid) - Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Cell Biology
West Virginia University Research Corporation is seeking applications for a Research Scientist for the Department ofMicrobiology, Immunology and Cell Biology
About the Opportunity
This position is for a qualified research scientist to pursue investigations into the role of neutrophils and myeloid-derived suppressor cells in regulating immunity toward Mycobacterium tuberculosis. The primary responsibility will be to conduct independent mechanistic studies investigating relationships between MDSCs, macrophages, and mycobacteria that influence immunity. Specifically, the scope of research seeks to determine if cell-free DNA release is a novel MDSC effector that suppresses macrophage function, if MDSCs support Mtb as a permissive host cell, and define molecular features at the phagosomal level that contribute to competency for hosting mycobacteria. Significant experience with molecular skills and primary cell culture is required. The qualified individual will be expected assist with the design of research approaches, conduct independent research activity, and analyze and present findings.
At WVU Research Corporation, we strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU Research Corporation offers a comprehensive benefits package with a variety of options to suit your needs:
* 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
* 403(b) retirement savings with a fully vested 3% employee contribution match, (Employees have the option of contributing an additional 1-3% of their earnings to the plan, which is also matched by the WVURC)
* A range of health insurance and various other benefits
* Dependent Education Scholarship
* WVU Perks
* And More!!
What you'll do:
* Assist the Pl with developing research methods and approaches
* Communicate with colleagues and students effectively about research activity.
* Actively participate as part of the research team.
* Attend and contribute to relevant meetings.
* Initiate research related tasks to the standards and objectives of the specific research project set forth by the Pl.
* Complete research related tasks, including planning. designing, conducting, recording the outcome of experiments, and communicating with the Pl.
* Work independently on daily research activities.
* Deal with day-to-day problems that affect research progress and achievement of objectives and deadlines, referring to the Pl for guidance and advice.
* Create written documentation of research results.
* Analyze and interpret the results of research experiments.
* Assist the Pl as required to provide guidance and supervision to support staff and undergraduate/graduate scientists.
* Provide technical advice and general direction to students as needed so they can achieve maximum potential.
- Master's degree
- Five (5) years of research experience and working in high containment at biosafety-level 3 is a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a collaborative environment
- Proven organizational skills
- Strong detail to attention
- Problem-solving skills
- Advanced cell culture experience with primary cells
- Design and execute molecular cloning strategies
- Experience with CRISPR-knockout studies
- Experience with flow cytometry and FACS
- Experience with confocal microscopy
- Isolation of RNA, DNA, and protein from blood or cells
- Ability to perform gene expression studies
- Experience culturing and enumerating bacteria
- Proficiency with biomedical data analysis and routine statistical approaches
About Research Corporation
The WVURC was created as a not-for-profit corporation in 1985 to support research (R1) at West Virginia University. We provide evaluation, development, patenting, management, and marketing services for inventions of the faculty, staff and students of the University.
The WVURC receives and administers funds awarded by external agencies for research and other activities and is responsible for helping protect intellectual property through patents, copyrights and licensing agreements for start-up companies based on University research.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic environment is core to WVURC's mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Jul 27, 2022
Posting Classification: Research Corporation
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes