Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Zhanxia)
Founded in 1863, Boston College is a Jesuit, Catholic university located six miles from downtown Boston with an enrollment of 9,445 full-time undergraduates and 5,125 graduate and professional students. Ranked 35 among national universities, Boston College has 878 full-time and 1,201 FTE faculty, 2,750 non-faculty employees, an operating budget of $1.2 billion, and an endowment in excess of $2.8 billion.Job Description
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
The Devtech research group directed by Prof. Marina
Umaschi Bers, has an opening for a postdoctoral position with expertise in
statistical data analysis with large data sets to work in the "Coding as
Another Language" (CAL) project funded by the US Department of Education.
and evaluates the use of ScratchJr in K-2 classrooms through partnerships with
Rhode Island and Boston public schools over the course of two years. The CAL
curriculum engages young children in developing computational thinking, problem
solving, and collaboration skills while learning how to create their own
interactive projects by programming with ScratchJr. The project accomplishes the following goals:
Create a comprehensive, field-tested, high-quality, integrated K-2 computer science (CS) curriculum and suite of teaching materials and implementation supports that will be free and publicly available. Achieve high fidelity of implementation in grades K-2 resulting in improvements in student learning outcomes as well as improvements in teachers' pedagogy and content knowledge to implement the curriculum. Build capacity of Tech Leaders, technology coordinators, and specialized coaches to replicate and sustain work following the grant period. Broaden participation in CS education from students currently underrepresented in CS education including females, racial/ethnic minorities, and students with disabilities.
The curriculum will be evaluated for impact. The impact study will use a randomized control trial design with delayed treatment. Impact will be assessed through differences in learning outcomes in the treatment and control group, looking at computational thinking and coding skills, math, and language development. A transfer and sustainability study will compare fidelity of implementation across groups/cohorts and measure perceived sustainability through interviews with teachers and Tech Leaders via the development of a strategic plan.
The ideal candidate has PhD in psychology, statistics, child development or education, or another quantitative social science discipline, with a strong background in quantitative methods. Practical experience in an education or evaluation project is a plus. The work involves integrating and analyzing multiple, large data sets from disparate sources (primary and secondary data).
the DevTech team with significant research responsibilities focused on
methodology and data analysis, the production of publications as well as the development
of proposals to extend the research.
- Demonstrated experience with exploratory, correlational and inference data analysis, especially hierarchical modeling
- Knowledge of research design principles and educational measurement principles, including familiarity with psychometric concepts such as validity and reliability
- Expertise in a research-oriented programming language (preferably R) for manipulating data and conducting statistical analyses
- Experience with data management and collaborative work tools
- Experience (or willingness to quickly learn) Qualtrics to design and conduct surveys
- Good project management, attention to detail, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and writing skills for both technical and non-technical audiences
Boston College offers a broad and competitive range of benefits depending on your job classification eligibility:
- Tuition remission for Employees
- Tuition remission for Spouses and Children who meet eligibility requirements
- Generous Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Low-Cost Life Insurance
- Eligibility for both University-Funded 401k and Employer-Sponsored403bRetirement Plans
- Paid Holidays Annually
- Generous Sickand Vacation Pay
- Additional benefits can be found onhttps://www.bc.edu/employeehandbook
Boston College conducts pre-employment background checks as part of the hiring process and requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Boston College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. In concert with our Jesuit, Catholic mission, Boston College is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications for women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans.To learn more about how BC supports diversity and inclusion throughout the university please visit the Office for Institutional Diversity at https://www.bc.edu/offices/diversity.
Boston College's Notice of Nondiscrimination can be viewed athttps://www.bc.edu/nondiscrimination.