Bellarmine University is a dynamic, growing university with a strong liberal arts focus in the Catholic higher education tradition and a bold vision for the future. Bellarmine has undergraduate and graduate enrollment of nearly 3,500 students and continues to add new academic programs while maintaining small class sizes and personal attention to students. Bellarmine is listed in The Princeton Review's Best 385 Colleges, is one of the top 20 Southern regional universities in U.S. News and World Report's 2019 college rankings and is a top university in Forbes' list of America's best colleges. In a survey by The Princeton Review, students praised Bellarmine as a place that is "welcoming to every single person and makes an effort to include everyone." Bellarmine students, faculty and staff engage in more than 25,000 cumulative hours of service each year, in Louisville and around the nation and world.
Bellarmine is located on a scenic 145-acre campus in the Highlands neighborhood and 46+ acres off-campus in Louisville, KY, which Forbes recently recognized as a "Top 15 City" for affordable living and National Geographic calls one of the "Best Small Cities in the U.S." Louisville is within a day's drive of two-thirds of the U.S. population.
Bellarmine is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants with diverse backgrounds to apply.
Bellarmine is committed to core values of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Bellarmine will demonstrate a fully realized and lived commitment to equity and inclusion, empowering all members of its increasingly diverse community and supporting them to achieve their full potential.
Bellarmine University invites applications for an Academic Advisor, who will provide proactive, holistic academic advising and support to offer a transformative student advising experience.
The Academic Advisor will serve individual students from diverse backgrounds. Primary responsibilities include:
- Providing guidance regarding university policies and procedures, support in the academic planning process, and making appropriate referrals as needed.
- Creating meaningful connections with their advisees, and supporting and empowering them to take ownership of their educational and professional journeys.
- Serving as the central point of contact for assigned students
- Working intentionally with campus partners, under the supervision of the Associate Dean of Academic Advising, to assist in student learning, development and their overall success
- A master's degree in higher education, college student personnel, or related field
- Experience with academic advising in the college setting or higher education
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication, using a high attention to detail
- Ability to manage competing demands and adapt to changes in the work environment
- Committed to cultivating diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging
- Professional experience working with diverse populations
Bellarmine University is committed to core values of diversity, equity and inclusion and embraces diversity in our workforce among members of faculty, staff and administration. We remain committed to affirmative actions, policies, procedures and attitudes necessary to continue to build and retain a diverse and equitable workforce. We will demonstrate a fully realized and lived commitment to equity and inclusion, empowering all members of our increasingly diverse community and supporting them to achieve their full potential. As part of Bellarmine's commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, we will seek to ensure that all aspects of employment, including recruitment, selection, job assignment, training, compensation, benefits, discipline, promotion, layoff and termination processes remain free of discrimination based upon race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Please submit the following documents: Cover Letter, Resume, Advising Philosophy, and contact information for three professional references.
Bellarmine University requires COVID-19 vaccination for all students, faculty and staff. Individuals may request exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information may be found at https://www.bellarmine.edu/welcome-back/