Director for IT Operations and Solutions Architecture
Metropolitan State University, Minnesota’s public, urban university, and recipient of the 2019 Insight Into Diversity Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award is seeking to hire a Director for IT Operations and Solutions Architecture. This is a full-time leadership position within the IT, Institutional Effectiveness and Research division.
The Director for IT Operations and Solutions Architecture (ITOSA) is a senior leadership position responsible for the strategic direction and tactical operations of two functional areas within the IT, Institutional Effectiveness and Research division (ITIER) – Web & Application Development and Data & Integration Services; and Enterprise Systems and Services. The Director oversees teams responsible for new development, implementation, and maintenance of enterprise solutions, data integration components, infrastructure and operations systems critical to the success of Metropolitan State University. This position directs both project and functional management efforts; these includes assuming appropriate technical leadership roles within projects and being accountable for all delivery lifecycles of IT services.
This position is accountable for the success of teams currently providing Web Services, Development Services, Application Administration, Middleware, Collaboration Services, Business Intelligence Services, Data Management Services, Identity & Access Management (IAM), Integration Services, Database Administration, Systems Architecture, Analysis, Design, Implementation, Administration, Maintenance and Support of the Back-up and Disaster Recovery Services, Virtualization and Storage Area Network Environments, Cloud Services, and Endpoint Administration and Management Services. The Director for ITOSA is also responsible for the frequent review of services to ensure appropriate information security controls and practices exist, sustainable financial health, business/IT alignment, and continuous improvement.
The Director for ITOSA will be responsible for developing and managing a cross-functional cloud strategy to address both current and future needs at all delivery levels. i.e. service, platform, and infrastructure. This strategy must maintain pace with current delivery trends and technologies to ensure adoption and extension of services, using cloud platforms, are both secure and with clear understanding of total cost of ownership. This position delivers operational excellence for mission critical 24x7 operations utilizing Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) and Information Technology Service Management (ITSM) practices.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
The following qualifications are required of all applicants seeking consideration for this position. Only applicants whose resumes clearly demonstrate fulfillment of each of these minimum qualifications will be considered for the position:
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited institution preferably in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems, or a related field.
- 5 years of progressively responsible IT management experience including organizational concepts and supervisory principles and practices, budget development and management, project management, service management, task assignment, and performance evaluation.
- 3 years of experience leading large, complex enterprise projects
- 10 years of experience in an environment with application development, programming/scripting languages, server and storage management, web technologies, systems analysis, and database systems
- Certification in ITIL, COBIT, MOF, or equivalent IT Service Management framework.
- Oral and written communications skills sufficient to convey information effectively to a broad clientele, ranging from novice to expert, and to prepare complex business documents such as RFP’s, project reports, and planning documents.
- Extensive understanding and experience with enterprise web content management systems.
- Experience integrating Microsoft Cloud services (AZURE) with enterprise on-premise systems.
- Management and technical experience in implementing and assessing information security standards with expertise including PCI, HIPAA and FERPA
- Experience with Minnesota State’s electronic data processing systems (i.e. ISRS and associated systems)
- Experience working in a university environment
- 5 years of experience with system virtualization
- 5 years of experience with Oracle RDBMS or Microsoft SQL Server
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques of systems analysis, design and programming, and 4GL sufficient to prioritize projects, direct budgets, and recommend solutions for database projects.
- 5 years of experience with SharePoint on-premise, cloud, or hybrid.
- 5 years of experience with Apache, IIS, ColdFusion
- 5 years of experience with Enterprise Application Integration in a service oriented architecture.
- Knowledge and experience of Business Intelligence and data governance methodologies and practices.
Physical Requirements of the Job: Requires occasionally lifting and/or carrying such articles as file folders, ledgers, and small tools. Although a sedentary job is defined as one which involves sitting, a certain amount of walking and standing is often necessary in carrying out job duties.
The University: Metropolitan State University, a member of the Minnesota State, is a public, urban university located in Twin Cities Metropolitan area. The University provides an excellent, inclusive and engaging education to eliminate opportunity gaps and lead the Twin Cities community to a prosperous and equitable future. Recognized as a Minority Serving Institution, its employees serve approximately 11,000 students, two-thirds of whom are from communities of color or American Indian nations, are first in their family to attend college or are eligible for Pell grants. Metropolitan State is recognized by CollegeNet as a leading higher education promoter of social mobility for students (Ranked #21 out of 1380). The university offers programs leading to baccalaureate, masters and doctoral degrees. We provide accessible, high quality liberal arts, professional and graduate education with continued emphasis on marginalized groups, including adult learners. Recognized in 2008 and 2014 by the Carnegie Foundation for Community Engagement and named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, the university is committed to academic excellence and community engagement through curriculum, teaching scholarship and services designed to support an urban mission.
Visit our web site at http://www.metrostate.edu
For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.metrostate.edu/students/support/safety
The School/Academic Department: Information Technology Services provides technology services in support of the mission, vision, values and goals of Metropolitan State University including teaching and learning, exceptional student experience and innovation, efficiency and creativity in our approach to providing IT services.
Salary Range: $40.69 - $69.63 per hour depending upon qualifications
Applications will only be accepted through the State of Minnesota Employment site at http://mn.gov/mmb/careers/ . Applicants may upload a unique and tailored resume and have the system automatically fill in portions of their application. This system also allows you to apply without a resume and complete an application by filling in each section. A progress bar will show what steps remain in the application process. You may also need to respond to screening questions about your qualifications. Applicants may save at any time and return later to complete their application.
*To comply with privacy and data practices requirements, please refrain from including personal information or photographs in your application materials.
* Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement MMA which can be found at https://mn.gov/mmb-stat/000/az/labor-relations/mma/2021-2023/MMA_2021-23_Final_Contract.pdf
Notice: In accordance with the Minnesota State Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, employees driving on university business who use a rental or state vehicle shall be required to conform to Minnesota State’s vehicle use criteria and consent to a motor vehicle records check.
For TTY, call Minnesota Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS) at 7-1-1 or 1-800-627-3529.
Metropolitan State University is an Equal Opportunity employer/educator committed to the principles of diversity. We prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or membership in a local commission as defined by law. As an affirmative action employer, we actively seek and encourage applications from women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and individuals with protected veteran status.
The University provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.