Veterans Coordinator- Records and Registration
JOB SUMMARY/BASIC FUNCTIONS:
Veterans Coordinator is responsible for advising students on complex matters regarding Veterans Administration education benefits, student academic and degrees progress, as well as financial matters. Veterans Coordinator responsibilities requires in-depth understanding of academic information, registration, financial aid, academic record, and student financial billing in order to facilitate direct impacts to University’s retention and graduation rates for all students in addition to a specialized knowledge in veterans benefits, resources and educational challenges. They are also required to critically analyze and act on complex appeals, waiver, and petitions. Veterans Coordinator share the responsibility of ensuring compliance with federal regulations as it relates to veteran educational benefits with U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, and serve as expert for internal and external audits.
Under the guidance of the Registrar, the Veterans Coordinator provides leadership for various committees to promote professional development, lead, design, and implement strategic initiatives and programs for student veterans. Responsible for performing an array of systems and customer service related functions. Serve as School Certifying Official for Veterans Assistance Benefits. The responsibility include certifying VA/military benefits for students through appropriate systems, verify students’ eligibility for applicable benefits, ensuring the university maintains compliance with all related federal, state, and/ or University policies.
Other duties assign include data entry and document processing, management of permanent student records, assist with course curriculum updates, report generation, ensuring compliance of Veterans Assistance Benefits for students, perform graduation audits, assist with creating academic term schedule, assist with monitoring student athletic compliance and transfer credit evaluation processes as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Veterans Benefits Certification (40%)
- Maintain the integrity of academic and VA/military related records by understanding the information contained in various database systems (VA Once and Tungsten), the ability change, or modify information accurately and in compliance with the academic regulations. Have the ability to correctly interpret and explain VA policies and procedures to students, staff and faculty as needed along with interpreting reports to identify errors.
- Monitor VA and University systems to ensure accurate and up-to-date records, terminating records as appropriate, noting all graduation and changes in student status. Inform supervisor of any issues with student VA records, and working with the Student Finance, VA education, VA debt management, and VA Vocational Rehabilitation.
- Coordinate VA/military benefit program with Financial Aid, Business Finance, University Bookstore, and other on campus constituents to ensure payments of funds are processed within a timely manner in accordance with VA and school policy.
- Remain current with all VA trainings, changes to policies and supervise other staff as it relates to VA/military benefit certification processes.
Records and Registration Management (60%)
- Facilitate the enrollment process by providing information about changes to schedules, withdrawals, refund grading policies and procedures, deadlines, cancellation and rebuilding of schedules, grade appeals, transfer evaluations, academic advisement, prerequisites, drops, cancelled sections, overloads, special courses to Veterans Services in a timely manner.
- Provides exemplary customer service, across all delivery methods, and with all constituents.
- Fields, distributes/transfers, and responds to various and numerous emails and phone calls, daily.
- Assists colleagues with familiarity of positional and team duties, functions and practices, which may involve the provision of documentation and/or training activities.
- Process all request forms received within Registrar’s Office to include but are not limited to Change of Major, Graduation Clearance, Verification of Enrollment, and Transcript Requests.
- Be familiar with requirements for all academic programs that are key in assisting students matriculate to point of graduation, have full knowledge of academic policies in order to provide sufficient guidance to students and other academic departments.
- Perform beginning-of-term and end of term processes including term activations, grade postings, data entry of course schedules for all academic programs, academic standings, and other integrated account transaction for Registrar’s Office.
- Correspond directly with Academic Affairs, Academic Advising & Retention Dept., Student Affairs, Financial Aid and other internal constituents regarding degree audits, excessive hours, credits earned by examination (AP, CLEP, and IB scores)
- Manage, maintain , and ensure accuracy and integrity of academic records and transfer credit processing within Ellucian “Power Campus System”
- Monitor compliance of college, state, and federal regulations and policies and promote their equitable and consistent administration.
- Manage electronic and paper file management processes
- Develop jobs aides for procedure manuals related to all functions of Veterans Coordinator processes and Records and Registration processes.
- Assist with performing academic record audits for potential graduates and evaluation of transfer credit.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPOSIBILITIES
- Exhibit service and student centeredness in performance of all job duties.
- Demonstrate sensitivity toward colleagues, contacts, and students, their needs, issues, and concerns.
- Treat all others with respect; understands the impact of culture/background on the behavior of others; respect differences among the Life community and demonstrates inclusive behavior.
- Anticipate, listen to, understand and respond to customer needs. Deliver work products and services to customers in a way that reflects positively upon the department and the college/institution.
- Bachelor’s degree plus 3-5 years of experience
- 1 years of experience working with veterans/service member or GI Bill educational benefits.
- 2 or more years of experience in a customer service related field with the ability to react to customers quickly, accurately, and professionally.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, ability to write clear, concise communications using effective writing skills.
- Sensitive to cultural diversity and ability to communicate and interact effectively with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
- Proven ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Ability to analyze an interpret data and make independent decisions; responsible for decisions.
- Must be able to effectively present information and represent the Edward Waters University at outreach events, both on-an off-campus, which will include evening and weekend hours and some light travel for educational requirements and training.
- Highly motivated, focused and results-oriented. Ability to meet expectations in a fast-paced and dynamic, customer-oriented environment.
Certifications, Licenses, registrations
- Military service member or veteran
- Experience and knowledge working with following systems VA-Once, Parchment Transcripts, Power Campus “Ellucian Software Program”
- Master’s degree
- Demonstrated leadership qualities
- Ability to manage multiple-priorities
- Experience counseling on student financial aid, registration, and student accounts receivable information in a higher education environment
- Working knowledge of spreadsheets, word processing, Google Docs, and Teams
- Nature of work requires an ability to operate standard business office equipment.
- Computers and systems work daily. Must spend majority of time concentrating on computer database identifying, entering, and updating information.
- Requires ability to communicate and exchange information, collect, compile, compare, and prepare work documents, set-up and maintain work files and records in any/all formats (digital/electronic and physical).
- Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs; pushing/pulling carts or dollies weighing up to 100 lbs; retrieving and placing materials
- Work performed in a general office environment.
- Out of town or around town travel may be required for special seminar attendance.
- Must be available, able and willing to work some weekends, mornings, and/or evenings
This job description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required for the job and is subject to review and change at any time, with or without notice, in accordance with the needs of Edward Waters College. Since no job description can detail all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a job, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing nature of the job shall also be considered part of the jobholder’s responsibility.