Military & Veterans Benefits Client Relations Advisor
Job Type: Full time
Job Number: JR-011093Location: Home Office
If you're passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country-and you're committed to working hard to play your part in building that future-consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.Internal Applications due by 6/27/2022
Job Profile Summary:
The Military and Veterans Benefits client relations Advisor is responsible for maintaining established relationships, lines of business, and strategies to support top and bottom-line growth while continuously improving the customer experience. The Client Relations Advisor liaisons with cross-functional teams to improve the entire customer experience for our Veteran population. The position will report to the Senior Manager of Military and Veterans Benefits Department.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for strategizing with WGU departments and colleges military-related education benefit programs.
- Executes a relevant strategic partnership plan for every partnership owned, ensuring partnership launches, maintenance, project timelines, student impact, and business results are achieved.
- Negotiates and influences skillfully and professionally while maintaining relationships internally and externally.
- Builds and maintains high impact, long-lasting Military and Veteran client relationships
- Manages U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) VITAL Program for staff and faculty, working with System Analyst, Federal Work Study and the VA VITAL members assigned to WGU.
- Liaison between Department of Defense and Veterans Affairs to ensure all information required is kept current and distrusted between WGU departments.
- Maintain relationship with other states with VA hospitals and their mental health in those states.
- Ensures staff are supported through professional development aimed at improving efficiencies and performing within federal and state policies and regulations.
- Establishes and maintains effective communication, coordination, and working relations with faculty/mentors, and other university personnel.
- Works with other departments in a professional and timely manner to ensure interdepartmental communication is maximized and student issues are resolved effectively and efficiently.
- Works closely with Enrollment and Admissions leadership team, Military Outreach, Strategic Partner Managers to ensure all services and communications related to Military and Veterans benefits is enforced.
- Represents the University and its students in state, regional, and national professional associations as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Proven ability to have analytical and critical thinking skills Analyzes problems, identifies solutions, and takes appropriate action to resolve problems using independent judgment and within defined policies and procedures.
- Able to multi-task organize, prioritize, and follow projects and tasks through to their completion with attention to detail.
- Self-directed with a strong acumen for action and results; displays keen interest in student support systems.
- Must be able to demonstrate strong communication abilities
- Well organized and attentive to detail
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations, as well as general financial aid policies and procedures
- Knowledge of Student Information Systems (Banner), Customer Relationship Management Systems (Salesforce), Document Imaging Systems (OnBase), Federal VA Certifying Systems (VA ONCE), and Military
- Tuition Assistance portals (WAWF, AI, Army Ignited system).
- Develops new ideas that will enhance partnership results, is future-oriented and assesses what will help/hinder achieving goals; focuses on what is important.
- Negotiate and influence skilfully and professionally while maintaining relationships.
- Displays commitment to the organization and to personal growth; self-motivated and able to motivate and inspire others; asserts self appropriately to champion ideas; tells the truth in a direct and constructive manner.
- Proven ability to juggle multiple account management projects at a time, while maintaining sharp attention to detail.
- Works to achieve operational targets with significant to major impact on department, Function, or Office results. May be responsible for managing large projects or processes within the department, function, or office.
Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Responsible for leveraging a systems-thinking approach, making moderate to significant improvements of processes, systems, and plans within the department, Function, or Office.
- Problems and issues faced are numerous and challenging, will require detailed information gathering and analysis. Problems typically affect multiple areas or specialties.
Communication & Influence:
- Collaborates cross-functionally with employees within and outside of the department. Typically has responsibility for communicating with parties external to the University.
- Works to influence parties within and outside the department, Function, or Office regarding policies, procedures, and practices.
- Demonstrates the WGU leadership principles in all aspects of service to students, employees, and partners of WGU.
- 5+ years of experience or a bachelor's degree, or 3+ years and a master's degree, or a doctorate or terminal degree without experience .
Department Specific Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- 5 years' experience with VA benefit programs and requirements
- Travel: 15-20%
- May have broad knowledge of project management.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Disclaimer: This Job Description has been designed to indicate the general nature, essential duties, and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It does not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications that are required of the employee to do this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This Job Description does not constitute a contract of employment and the University may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.