Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education - Office of the Provost (167535)
Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education
Office of the Provost
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has an opening for a Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education in the Office of the Provost. This position is a 100% full-time, benefits-eligible Academic Professional position. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications and the start date is as soon as possible after the close of the search. The Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education provides campus-wide leadership in undergraduate education at Illinois. This includes setting strategic direction for the undergraduate experience at Illinois, supporting innovation in classroom and in online instruction, and encouraging interdisciplinary initiatives in curriculum and pedagogy.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visithttp://go.illinois.edu/eeo.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Enrollment Management -
- Guide enrollment management strategy with regard to undergraduate enrollment targets, student diversity, admission processes, tuition rates, and financial aid.
- Communicate with stakeholders and press about admissions and enrollments.
- Oversee campus efforts to improve undergraduate student retention and graduation rates.
- Guide and coordinate the campus strategy for enrollment growth.
Academic Programs and Policies -
- Work with the Council of Undergraduate Deans and colleges on policies and processes for undergraduate education.
- Support activity related to modification of the student code.
- Support the work of the General Education Board and the Teaching Advancement Board.
- Lead campus response and coordinate with System Offices on state legislation and other state-wide or nation-wide issues affecting undergraduate education.
- Ensure that individual student, parent, and faculty issues are addressed.
- Maintain Higher Learning Commission accreditation for the campus.
Online Learning -
- Help build policies, procedures and staffing that make online education effective and productive.
- Guide strategy and policy around new forms of online education, with advice from OLOAC, the Online Learning Operations Advisory Committee.
- Support educational innovations and develop related campus policy and procedures to address issues in online learning.
- Work collaboratively with academic units on strategic decisions regarding online programs and ensure that those units have access to the information needed to support those decisions.
Support for Instructional Innovation and Student Success Initiatives -
- Initiate, support and evaluate campus initiatives aimed at supporting student success and foster the sustainable development of new ideas.
- Promote the development of campus-level student learning outcomes (learning analytics) and the broad use of learning outcomes assessment on campus.
- Provide guidance on institutional and program learning outcomes assessment activities in creating a process that meets accreditation expectations and results in meaningful quality improvement for all academic programs
- Improve the campus experience by increasing undergraduate students' opportunities to engage with high impact practices (e.g., the Office of Undergraduate Research, the Campus Honors Program, the Illinois Leadership Center, Seibel Center for Design).
- Provide professional development and engage with academic advisors
- Collaborate with relevant units to gather and review data and use those data to influence policies and programs to impact student success on campus. Share data with Colleges and Departments to inform decision making.
Oversee the following areas, processes, and relevant policies, including but not limited to the following:
- Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (including ISTEM and other units)
- Academic Programs and Policies
- Campus Center for Advising and Academic Services (including Division of General Studies, National and International Scholarships, Pre-Law Advising Services, Scholar Support Programs)
- Enrollment Management (including the Office of Student Financial Aid, Undergraduate Admissions, Office of the Registrar)
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute
- Office of Undergraduate Research
- Principal Scholars Program
- Campus Honors Program
- Illinois Leadership Center
Direct Reports to the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education -
- Executive Associate Provost for Academic Programs and Policies
- Associate Provost for Enrollment Management
- Associate Provost for Educational Programs and Success Initiatives
- Assistant Provost for Educational Innovation
- Director, Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning
- Director, Campus Honors Program
- Director, Illinois Leadership Center (Dual report to Student Affairs)
- Director, Undergraduate Research
Serve on the Provost's leadership team, assisting the Provost with strategizing and prioritizing goals for the office and campus.
Advance the university's goal to diversify and provide ongoing support for undergraduate students, working in collaboration with the Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.
Represent the Provost at events as appropriate, and delivers remarks as needed.
Serve as a member of the Campus Emergency Operations Center Core Group, and on other university and University System committees, as needed.
- Current or previous Tenured Faculty Appointment at the University of Illinois
- Earned doctoral degree
- At least five years of experience in higher education.
- A record of success in leading instructional innovation.
- A commitment to promoting diversity and an inclusive environment for undergraduates.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- An appreciation for diverse forms of undergraduate teaching and mentoring.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate with administrators, academic staff, faculty, and students from various disciplinary areas.
- Detailed knowledge of campus academic policies and procedures.
- The capacity to foster and maintain collaborations among faculty and campus leaders.
APPLICATION PROCESS:To ensure full consideration application materials must be received byJuly 6, 2022. Interviews may be conducted before the search closes, but no hiring decision will be made until after the close of the search. All candidates must create a candidate profile athttps://jobs.illinois.eduand upload acover letter,resume, and contact information for three professional references.
For additional information regarding this position, contact Laura Bleakney email@example.com.
University of Illinois faculty, staff and students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not able to receive the vaccine for medical or religious reasons, you may seek approval for an exemption in accordance with applicable University processes.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visitPolicy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois Systemuses E-Verifyto verifyemployment eligibility.