Associate Vice President, Communications
Posting Number: req10583
Department: UAHS Communications
Location: University of Arizona Health Sciences
Address: 1670 East Drachman Street, Tucson, AZ 85721 USA
Position HighlightsThe Associate Vice President for Communications serves as the chief communications officer and has responsibility for visionary leadership in strategic marketing, public relations, crisis management messaging, research-based messaging, branding and storytelling expertise for the UA Health Sciences. This communications professional will utilize public engagement, local and national media, and varied digital and social media channels to reach key influencers and stakeholders. Leading the strategic direction and execution of the communications program for UAHS colleges, centers and institutes, this position reports to the Senior Vice President, UA Health Sciences and works in collaboration with UAHS leaders and the University of Arizona's Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing and Communications Officer.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work closely and collaboratively with the SVP and with academic and clinical leadership to develop and implement an integrated, proactive, comprehensive communications strategy that enhances the brand, influence and impact of the UA Health Sciences through education, research and care through clinical partners.
- Develop and implement a strategic communications plan to enhance and align with the UA brand and highlight UAHS priorities and initiatives.
- Promote the achievement of campus leaders, faculty, students and staff to enhance institutional branding at the local, regional, state and national levels.
- Build strong, sustained cross-campus partnerships to strengthen the UAHS identity within the University of Arizona brand.
- Create a cohesive approach to marketing and communications within UAHS by establishing a community of professional practice and a set of practice standards for marketing and communications professionals within UAHS colleges, centers and institutes.
- Execute a variety of marketing campaigns to advance UAHS and to reach targeted audience segments through all available media outlets.
- Analyze audience constituencies and ensure a segmented approach to marketing and communications goals and activities.
- Utilize appropriate metrics and analytics to keep UAHS and UA leadership apprised of communications trends that may have an impact on the health sciences and regularly report on the market position of UAHS in relation to other peer institutions in the state, the region and the nation.
- Drive the development and implementation of a comprehensive digital communications strategy, including enhancements to the UAHS website, to ensure an optimal user experience for prospective students, recruits, donors and other targeted constituencies.
- Serve as the initial contact and spokesperson for media inquiries, while working closely with UA communications colleagues to develop and enhance media relationships to create greater awareness and recognition of UAHS.
- Oversee the management and coordination of all UAHS communication activities to ensure messaging reaches our students, staff, faculty, and other internal and external constituencies.
- Organize executive level support for communications on behalf of the SVP, including talking points, script writing, presentation preparation, etc.
- Manage the programming and messaging for the new UAHS Innovation Building, engaging the public, students and university stakeholders.
- Manage and coordinate all writing, photography, editing and other activities that directly support the development, production and distribution of UAHS' communications products for all media.
- Oversee UAHS's digital assets, including the website and other channels, to provide clear and regular governance and guidance to all colleges, centers and institutes' web and social media platforms.
- Develop a crisis communications approach that can be implemented when necessary.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to mentor and lead multiple teams and work effectively with a wide range of constituencies within a diverse community.
- Expertise in the development and implementation of strategic marketing, communication and branding plans, including current concepts, principles, methodologies and best practices.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current communications trends in a higher education setting, including extensive knowledge of the use of social media.
- Exceptional writing and presentation skills and ability to interact effectively with senior leadership, staff professionals, faculty leaders and external constituencies of special priority to UAHS.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work on multiple projects simultaneously, while managing competing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to produce high quality, creative and compelling work.
- Minimum of 11 years of related work experience, including 7 years of managerial experience, preferably in large complex institutions or organizations, or equivalent combination of education and work experience. Requires experience in leading multiple teams, projects, programs, and/or functions.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
* Master's preferred.
* Five years of senior level management experience and demonstrated ability to supervise professional staff to communicate technical and complex ideas to focused audiences across a wide range of media, especially in a health care, research or academic environment.
* Experience planning, developing, directing, implementing and evaluating strategic communications plans, programs and activities applicable to medical education, health care policy, nursing, pharmaceutical sciences and basic science research.
* Digital / social media expertise with prior experience in media relations, social media strategy consulting and media training.
* An unwavering commitment to making the University of Arizona Health Sciences a diverse and inclusive community.
* A record of personal and professional integrity with a leadership style that promotes creativity, teamwork and strategic thinking.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Communication and Marketing
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: DOE
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Communications & Marketing
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Heather Hartling | email@example.com | 520-626-1193
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.