Program Specialist (Remote)- Health Sciences Technology Academy
West Virginia University Health Science Center is currently accepting applications for a Program Specialist with the Health Sciences & Technology Academy
About the Opportunity
Under general direction of the district assistant director, develops, administers and promotes HSTA student clubs and programs which are geared toward academic enrichment and community service in the regions where HSTA students resides.
Serves as the staff person for the local governing board. additional information on HSTA maybe found at the HSTA website: https://health.wvu.edu/hsta.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year
(for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits (this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What you'll do:
- Assists the director, district assistant director, and local HSTA board on accomplishing the goals and objectives of project development and completion.
- Travels to and coordinates and assists with all HSTA club and community program activities aimed toward the achievement of program goals, i.e. secures facilities, transportation, food, and equipment as needed.
- Assists or facilitates gathering resources necessary to carry specific project to completion, i.e. recruits professional health care providers as role models and business-industry leaders to support HSTA. recruits teachers, students, parents, healthcare providers and resource personnel for HSTA clubs in the region.
- Coordinates networking of resources needed for program goals. Assesses the educational needs of communities through formal and informal studies, surveys, and other research instruments. Advises students, parents, and teachers of program resources and goals, financial aid, health profession career opportunities and access to higher education.
- Maintains regular contact with participating university faculty, HSTA teachers, public school administrators, parents and students. Cooperates and communicates with program staff and affiliates who arrange activities and carry out special projects at other HSTA sites.
- Assists the local governing board in preparing the programs' policies, budget, and operating procedures. Monitors project expenditures in order to comply with budget limitations. Assists in the creation and maintenance of a records system that includes students, and resources to projects and ensures their accuracy and timeliness.
- Ensures all projects are completed in accordance with university and HSTA standards. Writes, designs, and distributes promotional materials, including brochures, flyers, and print media announcements. Writes and co-administers grants and proposals. Coordinates and writes reports on the progress of the project for review by project director.
- Prepare final project documentation for presentation to project director.
Pay Grade: 16
- Master's degree preferred in business, education, counseling, liberal arts or a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Six (6) months experience: human service, education, social services, or an appropriate field.
- Thorough knowledge of school districts, health care providers and other health education organizations in Preston, Barbour, Tucker and Taylor counties.
- Leadership skills: visionary, pro-active, productive, self-starting, positive thinking, assertive and possessing the ability to work cooperatively, collaboratively and effectively with all types of people.
- Ability to see that daily details are taken care of and the global goals are being pursued. Ability to plan and coordinate implement and evaluate programs.
- Budget management skills.
- Computer literacy in microsoft office.
- Ability to analyze complex information and explain information to others. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Valid driver's license
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU's academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.