IT Support Specialist(PT2) - HSC Information Technology Services
West Virginia University HSC Information Technology Services is seeking applications for an IT Support Specialist (Professional Technologist 2)
About the Opportunity
As an IT Support Specialist, you will function as a Professional Technologist for the WVU HSC ITS Help Desk. You will be responsible for providing network account related support and roles, editing webpages using a content management system, training faculty, staff and students and researching new technologies that will include testing and deployment.
At WVU, we strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
18 sick days per year (for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits (this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
(please note: Work Hours for this role are: Must be on call to respond to network emergencies/support 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Must maintain flexible work schedule as some evening and weekend work may be required.)
What you'll do
- Independently provide both inbound and outbound support of the technological needs of the WVU Health Sciences Center Faculty, Staff and Students and will handle escalated support issues.
- Provide support with web-based help requests and direct telephone calls.
- Provide support and training to faculty, staff, and students independently for Learning Management Systems, Content Management Systems, commercial and internally developed Web and Desktop Applications as assigned.
- Provide account administration support for the Health Sciences Center faculty and students using Active Directory and administrative tools listed below.
- Will have administrative responsibilities within the two-factor authentication portal at West Virginia University to assist faculty and students with account related information.
- Facilitate account permissions and roles within the identity management system and will have tools to assist with account related issues.
- Has primary support responsibility for the client side of the client/server networks in the Health Sciences Center including new network client installations, client workstation testing and maintenance.
- Assist users in logging onto Local Area Networks (LANs), using applications software (including WVU / WVUH applications), and accessing information services.
- Support faculty and students with computerized testing within the HSC as well as remote users. This may include exams starting before normal business hours, extending beyond normal business hours, weekends, and holidays.
- Troubleshoot both hardware and software problems that may arise on Health Sciences Center computers, LANs and VoIP phones.
- Provide networking support/consulting to Health Sciences faculty, staff, and students on computer hardware and software that is supported in departments and on computer networks in the Health Sciences Center and its satellite facilities.
- Has support responsibility for the client side of the client/server networks in the Health Sciences Center including new network client installations, client workstation testing and maintenance at a higher support level.
- Independently will test software package creations within our Microsoft System Center Configuration networking software.
- Bachelor's degree OR an equivalent combination of education and directly related experience.
- Certification or equivalent experience in using Windows OS, and Mac OSX on Local Area Networks, and in standalone configurations.
- Two (2) years of experience in the following areas:
- Experience in an IT environment (may include end user support, web-based content management, hardware, diagnostics, etc.)
- Managing and troubleshooting computer peripherals.
- Installing, configuring, maintaining, and troubleshooting Windows and Apple Mac computers.
- Providing end user support for computer technology.
- Experience with a variety of computer systems and platforms
- Knowledge of computer security issues, requirements and trends including an awareness of information security laws (such as HIPAA) and accepted industry practice.
- A+ Certification
- CCNA Certification
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU's academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Jun 21, 2022
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes