Animal Technologist II
Posting Number: req10611
Department: Vet Med Administration
Location: Tucson Area Farms
Address: 4101 N Campbell Ave, Tucson, AZ 85719 USA
The University of Arizona's College of Veterinary Medicine invites applicants for the position of Animal Care Technologist II. This position provides high-quality care to our veterinary teaching herds at the Campbell Agriculture Center (CAC). The veterinary teaching herds offer hands-on and practical experience for the first- and second-year students in the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine professional program. The successful candidate will be responsible for all aspects of routine animal husbandry including daily monitoring, feeding, watering, cleaning, care, and maintenance of records. The successful candidate will ensure areas, where animals are housed, are clean, safe, and compliant with policies from university and governing agencies. The successful candidates will demonstrate initiative, resourcefulness, and a willingness to collaborate with CVM faculty and staff, and staff at the CAC. The successful candidate must have experience working with horses and ideally will have experience working with cattle, sheep, goats, poultry, dogs, and cats. This position will be required to work off-hours, holidays, and weekends.
The Mission of the University of Arizona College of Veterinary Medicine is to lead the profession as a student-centered program focused on developing career-ready veterinarians who will live healthy meaningful lives and serve their communities. We value an inclusive environment that fosters adaptive, innovative learners who will be successful leaders in the field of veterinary medicine. We believe in emphasizing critical thinking and evidence-based teaching to help students become skilled problem-solvers and lifelong learners. We are committed to extending The University of Arizona's rich history of outstanding education to provide our students with the resources and knowledge that will help them succeed in all areas of life.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide animal husbandry and healthcare to the veterinary teaching herds on a daily basis, including daily monitoring, feeding, watering, cleaning, and care.
- Ensure areas where animals are housed, both inside and outside, are properly equipped, clean, and safe at all times.
- Assist with animal care logs in accordance with university policy and IACUC regulations.
- Inventory supplies, request services, and purchase supplies.
- Collaborate with CVM faculty, staff leadership, and CAC staff on a daily basis.
- Assist faculty with clinical skills labs and provide instruction to DVM students.
- Assist the Animal Care Manager with periodic reports and records concerning college activities, progress, status and special reports for the Dean or governing agencies.
- Participate in public outreach programs.
- Other duties as assigned
- This position will be lifting up hay, animal food, and
assisting with animal transport and care.
- Requires the ability to move/transport a maximum of 50 lbs.
independently and physical and manual dexterity to perform specialized
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience is typically required(farm management, animal husbandry, or healthcare).
- Experience working with horses.
- Practical experience with the following species: cattle, sheep, goats, poultry, dogs, and cats.
- Experience applying teamwork mentality.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Veterinary and Animal Care
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $33,977 - $44,000
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Veterinary & Animal Care
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.