Coordinator, Finance and Administration
Posting Number: req10429
Department: Diversity and Inclusion Admin
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
Position HighlightsThe Provost Office Business Team seeks a creative, resourceful, and team-oriented self-starter to fill the position of Finance and Administration Coordinator. The primary support assignment for this position will be the units under the Office of Diversity and Inclusion. While this is the primary support assignment, as circumstances change, team members may be assigned to support additional areas or reassigned to support different areas.
This position will process transactions, understand and apply policies and procedures and communicate them to others, and assist the Senior Business Manager with reconciliation of unit accounts and monitoring budgets, coordination of staff and personnel matters, and possibly some financial analysis and grant activity. This position will ensure day-to-day operations are carried out in accordance with established accounting principles, policies, and objectives as well as University policies and procedures. The successful candidate will demonstrate a professional demeanor, superlative customer service, and dedication to collaborative teamwork, and will support the Business Team Values: Be kind; Be encouraging; Be trustworthy partners; and Be resourceful, proactive problem solvers who get stuff done.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Process various transactions through UAccess Financials including, but not limited to, P-Card reconciliation, Purchase Order Requisitions, Travel Authorizations, Advances and Expense Reports, Disbursement Vouchers, Internal Billing, Cash Receipts, Distribution of Income and Expense, General Error Corrections, Internal Billings, Salary Expense Transfers, Purchases through Shop Catalogs, and UA Foundation transactions, with accuracy, completeness, and in compliance with University policies and procedures.
- Utilize UAccess systems to review and monitor account transactions, monitor account budgets, prepare account reconciliations, and provide explanations and recommendations for budget variances, informs management of irregularities, and proceeds with corrective action.
- Assists with monthly reconciliation and management of accounts consisting of designated, grant/contract, gift, foundation, state, and other funding sources, ensuring compliance with sponsor, UA, UAF, and governmental policies and regulations.
- Coordinate and reconcile financial transactions for compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, UA and UAF policies and procedures and sponsorship rules and regulations.
- Approves/authorizes expenditures or actions for administrative and operational needs sometimes requiring higher level signatures.
- Process various transactions through UA Foundation including but not limited to Bursar Endorsement Requests, Check Requests, Funds Transfer Requests, and Gift Disbursement Requests.
- Coordinate and maintain department purchase orders and corresponding billing.
- Prepare and process external awards and student stipends.
- Prioritizes workload to meet work unit operations.
- Evaluates and recommends operational changes to work unit to ensure effectiveness and compliance with University policies and regulations.
- Coordinates business affairs, personnel matters, and may interpret policies and procedures.
- Investigates, evaluates, and resolves typical administrative/operational problems or situations impacting staff/faculty work unit.
- Serves as liaison to faculty, staff, students, alumni, patients, outside agencies, and the public concerning information or complaints.
- Participates in meetings and conferences pertinent to area of responsibility.
- Organize and maintain record keeping systems of correspondence, purchasing, travel, and other departmental administrative records.
- Coordinate and participate in internal and external audits; prepare audit work papers.
- Interact with external departments, PI's, and administration to identify, troubleshoot, and resolve funding issues and discrepancies in general financial transactions.
- Work directly with support staff in each unit to ensure proper business policies and procedures are being carried out.
- Assist in the delivery of quarterly financial training sessions for support staff and employees.
- Regularly attend or complete University training sessions to expand professional knowledge.
- Assist business team with special projects as directed.
- Represent college, department, or work unit at meetings or conferences and at all levels of the university organization.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent communication, time management, organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Skill in communicating policies and procedures.
- Ability to apply knowledge, think independently, and take initiative to solve problems.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure, meet deadlines, and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Skill in developing and maintaining good working relationships.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive issues.
- Troubleshoot, problem-solve, make sound decisions, and work independently.
- Work effectively in a team environment with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with attention to detail.
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management skills and time management.
- Ability to take initiative and be self-motivated.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Business or field pertinent to work unit AND one year of directly related administrative experience.
- Five years of directly related administrative experience.
- Experience with University of Arizona systems and departments, including UAccess (Employee Manager Self Service, Financials and Student), Budget Office, Financial Services Office (Accounts Payable, Financial Compliance, Payroll and Travel), Facilities Management, Human Resources, Procurement and Contracting (Arizona BuyWays, Contracting Office, Pcard Office, Printing Services, and Purchasing Card), Sponsored Projects, UA Foundation (including Raiser's Edge), and Systems Control.
- Experience with accounting and budgeting procedures and techniques.
- Experience with accounting principles, practices, and procedures.
- Experience utilizing Microsoft Excel to analyze financial data and create reports and documents.
- Experience with current University of Arizona and University of Arizona Foundation business systems and processes, including UAccess Financials and UAccess Analytics.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.00
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Organizational Administration
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $22.95
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Career Stream and Level
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.