Client Platform Engineer (PT2)-ITS Endpoint Management and Outbound Support-Remote
Information Technology Services at West Virginia University is currently accepting applications for a Client Platform Engineer-Remote.
About the Opportunity
The primary job duties of this position are to design and develop complex information technology systems critical to the infrastructure of enterprise client management. This position is responsible for the testing, implementing, troubleshooting, and the operational support of IT infrastructure used to support WVU client devices. It will work to design and create solutions to solve issues with WVU clients, improve current management processes, and research solutions for upcoming projects.
This position will triage incoming support requests and must be comfortable working with multiple levels of enterprise support to troubleshoot and solve an issue or work with the relevant group to ensure issues are solved quickly and correctly. This is an experienced level position where the incumbent is expected to work independently with general oversight from the Client Platform Manager of the unit.
The incumbent will be responsible for interpretation and application of computer and security policies as defined by WVU and Information Technology Services and will recommend and implement procedures and technical solutions that are compliant with any applicable laws, standards, and University defined policies. They will provide technical leadership and guidance to other IT units within the University including documentation, assistance, and training as required.
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year
- (for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits (this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge as a subject matter expert on client operating systems including macOS, iOS, and Windows.
- Assist the university's transition to cloud device management and help maintain and support devices using both on-premises (SCCM) and cloud management systems (Intune and Jamf Pro).
- Administration of license servers and network printing solutions.
- Support and administration of Active Directory and Group Policy
- Administration and organization of WVU's IT asset inventory system.
- Research and evaluate new solutions and technologies that align with WVU's client management environment.
- Work independently and/or as part of a team to plan, coordinate and implement a variety of complex computer systems. This includes database, networking, and web-based knowledge of activities necessary to maintain information technology systems, processes, and projects related to client support infrastructure
- Test, evaluate, and recommend equipment and/or solutions designed to improve our end users' productivity and efficiency.
- Design, test, and participate in the deployment and maintenance of the standard desktop operating system and software environment and associated programs.
- Develop and maintain documentation on related client management solutions.
- Support the other academic IT groups across the University.
- Evaluate and process incoming service requests, including resolving or working with other people or groups to resolve requests pertaining to our group's responsibilities.
- A Bachelor of Science Degree or 4 years' experience in an IT related profession.
- A combination of education, experience, and certifications that provide the incumbent with the knowledge, skills, and ability to successfully perform the job as defined.
- A minimum of two (2) years with Progressively responsible experience in an IT related field.
- Knowledge of enterprise IT infrastructure, preferably any of the following areas: Windows Servers, Active Directory, Group Policy, Network Printing, SCCM, Azure, Intune, Jamf Pro, Lansweeper.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact at all organizational levels with technical staff, managers, and end-users
- Strong communication skills in English, both oral and written.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare technical documentation and justify approach used, resolve complex issues, explain and/or train staff on technical features related to client support infrastructure.
- Ability to express technical information to non-technical users.
- Strong analytical skills to be able to research, analyze, detect, and technically correct developed processes.
- Ability to reason logically and analyze and solve technical problems in a complex environment.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks and prioritize as needed with little oversight.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team of diverse skill levels and expertise from multiple areas.
- Knowledge of computer security issues, requirements, and trends including an awareness of information security laws (HIPPA, FERPA) and accepted industry practice.
- Seated at computer or telephone - Daily
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU's academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.