Office Administrator - Statler College of Engineering & Mineral Resources (Hybrid)
West Virginia University Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resourcesis currently accepting applications for an Office Administrator.
As an Office Administrator, you will be responsible for the administrative and financial management of the Lane Department of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. This includes all payroll and budget management for the Department, grant management, Department administration and financial management and planning as well as analyzing and interpreting accounting records and making recommendations to the Chairperson on actions needed. The Department employs approximately 35 tenure track faculty, 16 non-tenure track faculty, 12 research positions, 8 support staff, 165 Graduate Assistants and 80 hourly student workers. The annual Department, excluding grants, exceeds $3.7 million.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
37.5-hour work week - check with HM before you use this as some will not be 37.5 hours and they do not want this included.
13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
18 sick days per year
(for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits (this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
What you'll do:
- Developand maintainthe office structure according to institutional polices and procedures as well as State and federal guidelines.
- Coordinates the worktlow of the Department. Assesses problems and takes corrective action, as needed, such as making changes to internal office policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the Expert Business Office of the Lane Department of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering as well as the main departmental office. This includes both direct and indirect supervision of a staff comprised of one Accounting Assistant II, one Accounting Assistant l, one Program Coordinator CL, one Administrative Secretary Sr, and one Administrative Secretary, work study and hourly students. This includes training, hiring, firing and disciplinary authority.
- Incumbent is the signature authority to employee time records, responsible for scheduling and approval of staff vacations and responsible for calculating over-time for non-exempt employees.
- Assesses absentee staff coverage for the Department. Serves as "back up" for Departmental Staff if coverage is needed due to annual or sick leave.
- Reports directly to the Chairperson on progress/problems regarding departmental operations. Keeps the Chairperson advised of actions taken.
- Develops criteria to evaluate the personnel needs of the unit, operational effectiveness and fiscal requirements of the department and its programs.
- Holds regular staff meetings to discuss work progress as well as any problems that may arise.
- Trains faculty and staff and provides guidance on administrative and human resources policies and procedures; interprets Departmental and University policies and oversees their enforcement.
- Attends meetings representing the Department on fiscal and administrative management.
- Provides necessary information at meetings representative of the Department's programs.
- Promotes open communication and relationship building with other departments, internal and external groups, and other individuals in coordination of departmental activities.
- Attends meetings regularly on ORACLE, MAP, procurement, affirmative action policies, and any other matters necessary for management of the department.
- Serves as the financial and administrative liaison between the Department and the Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources administrative offices and other units.
- Serves as promotion and tenure coordinator for the Department.
- Solves problems related to the day-to-day operations of the Department and its research, teaching and service functions by working with members of the Dean's staff or other administrative units in the University.
- Bachelor's degree in business, accounting or finance or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- A minimum of one (1) year experience in the following:
- Budgetary Experience
- Supervisory/Management Experience
- General Financial Management Experience
- Experience with an HRIS program, such as Map/Oracle Experience with procurement editing program, such as Pathways
- Demonstrated knowledge of correct English language, grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve, prioritize, reason and analyze.
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting principles, organization and fiscal management procedures
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer operations, hardware and software applications, such as word processing as well asspreadsheet and database applications and management.
- Demonstrated ability to define procedural problems, college and evaluate data, develop recommendations for plan of action.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to articulate at public meetings, committees, or on a one-to-one basis with a variety of individuals.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU's academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Jun 17, 2022
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes