Associate Director, Venture Programs
Posting Number: req10523
Department: McGuire Ctr - Entrepreneurship
Location: Main Campus
Address: 1130 E. Helen Street, Eller College of Management, Tucson, AZ 85721 USA
This leadership role is responsible for providing strategic and operational academic leadership for the McGuire iVenture Program and the Tech Core program, overseeing event planning, organizing, collaborating and delivering common services toward student experiential learning in both iVenture and Tech Core Programs. This includes management of program curriculum, growth planning and management; overall student experience; program improvement; UA ecosystem partnerships; program innovation; customer relations with students, mentors, donors, employers, and alumni; relationship building within the College, University, Arizona, and global markets.
The McGuire Entrepreneurship Program is an award winning, national leader in entrepreneurship education attracting graduate and undergraduate students representing disciplines from across campus.
For more than 30 years, the McGuire Center's undergraduate and graduate degree programs in entrepreneurship have been top-ranked by US News, Economist, Business Week, and Entrepreneur rankings. In US News & World Report, our undergraduate and graduate entrepreneurship programs have been highly ranked nationally.
We celebrate the diversity of our students and are working to increase diversity among our faculty and staff. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. We believe diversity enriches us all, expands our understanding, and allows us to create better solutions.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
VENTURE PROGRAMS OPERATIONS AMINISTRATION and LEADERSHIP:
- Responsible for developing strategy and leading the operations of the iVenture Program and Tech Core program.
- Cultivate partnerships and collaborate with colleagues in the McGuire Center and campus units as policies, practices, and procedures are developed and interpreted.
- Supervise the implementation of strategic goals and administration of ongoing operations.
- Provide training and development of direct reports and evaluate performance.
- Lead with data driven decisions. manage the collection, analysis and reporting of data to improve the overall program and experience. Use innovation and creativity to resolve challenges.
- Oversee extensive communication with multiple constituencies, including donors, students, mentors, faculty, McGuire colleagues and campus partners. Work with McGuire team to create and maintain communication modes such as emails, newsletters, meetings, and social media.
- Supervise and lead the recruitment and interview process for the iVenture and Tech Core programs for leadership, students, mentors, faculty and staff.
- Maintains conceptual knowledge and expertise of concepts, principles, and practices specific to iVenture and Tech Core including: venture startup and launch methods, product underwriting, e-commerce, creative skills, web site design and other technology related disciplines.
INNOVATION and GROWTH STRATEGY:
- Entrepreneurship requires a responsive, agile mindset to continually offer services and grow quality programs in diverse markets, for diverse students.
- Responsible for developing growth strategies. This may involve nurturing initial relationships with new partners, donors, and UA alumni.
- Across all aspects of the role, continually bring creativity and innovation. Implement improvements suggested by data collected in program assessments.
- Optimize use of technology to bring efficiencies. This may include tools such as Monday.com, Shopify, Amazon.com, Wix, Etsy, social media, and D2L.
- Actively participate in national Entrepreneurship organizations and committees to stay abreast of trends and innovative offerings.
- Accountable for developing and implementing operational plans and policies for a program, functional area, or work unit.
- Decisions have a direct impact on the operational area and may have indirect impact on related areas.
- Review program effectiveness and develop solutions with creativity, innovation and analytical assessment.
STUDENT EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING ADMINISTRATION:
- Ensure that team members develop a supportive working relationship with students and provide highly responsive assistance to meet individual student needs.
- Support students with advisory and referral resources, ranging from academic performance to student wellness.
- Conduct initiatives that achieve diversity, inclusivity, and equity.
- Supervise the delivery of program components, including program materials, synchronous and asynchronous content.
- Develop and plan networking opportunities.
- Research and compart / contrast other similar programs to ensure we are offering top quality.
- Provide mentoring to teams struggling with team dynamic, including mediation and strategic goals.
- Offer development opportunities to students.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience is required.
- Experience in sourcing and procurement
- Experience launching a startup
- Experience in branding and strategy
- Experience mentoring teams
- Experience in finance and budgeting
- Experience in technology-related projects
- Experience in entrepreneurship training and mentoring
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Academic Administration
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: $80,000 - $90,000
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Academic Program Mgmt
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.