Staff Attorney - College of Law
The College of Law is currently accepting applications for a Staff Attorney. This position is for a real estate specialist within the Land Use and Sustainable Development Law Clinic. This position is responsible for assisting the Managing Attorney and others with transactional real estate work, including title examination and a full suite of transactional instrument drafting on behalf of non-profit organizations, government clients and others. Successful candidate will join a team of dedicated professionals and bring his or her skills, expertise, and experience to a variety of public-interest initiatives, including land conservation efforts, assisting under- represented communities with a host of land use-related needs, and supporting mission-focused projects that increase the quality of life for West Virginians, all while mentoring students in their development of practical legal skills.
At WVU Research Corporation, we strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU Research Corporation offers a comprehensive benefits package with a variety of options to suit your needs.
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 403(b) retirement savings with a fully vested 3% employee contribution match, (Employees have the option of contributing an additional 1-3% of their earnings to the plan, which is also matched by the WVURC)
- A range of health insurance and other benefits
- Dependent Education Scholarship
- WVU Perks
- And More!!
What you'll do:
- Assist in the development and implementation of strategies for working with individuals, non-governmental organizations, local governments and communities within West Virginia to provide transactional legal assistance.
- Assist in developing and managing relationships with non-governmental organizations, local government agencies, and communities to effectuate Clinic goals.
- Train and supervise other staff, as well as second- and third-year law students, including involvement in preparation of work schedules and assignment of specific duties.
- Prepare and review legal documents and instruments primarily related to real estate work.
- Participate in the retention and supervision of experts, as necessary, in the provision of legal and related services.
- Contribute to the preparation of periodic reports describing the Clinic's activities as to the training programs and other facets of the position.
- J.D. From ABA - accredited law school
- 3 years experience in practicing law
- Experience supervising others
- Member in good standing of the West Virginia Bar
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Group facilitation and conflict resolution skills
- Knowledge of laws, legal codes, government regulations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Microsoft Word and EXCEL
- Proficiency in Google platforms including Google Docs and Zoom
- Strong ability to multi-task multiple projects
- Advanced knowledge of processes and procedure of the law school and Land Use Clinic
- Ability to write effectively
- Ability to present effectively
- Ability to collaborate efficiently with co-investigators of different disciplines
- Ability to work in a team effectively
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to maintain proper attendance and dependable work ethic
About Research Corporation
The WVURC was created as a not-for-profit corporation in 1985 to support research (R1) at West Virginia University. We provide evaluation, development, patenting, management, and marketing services for inventions of the faculty, staff and students of the University.
The WVURC receives and administers funds awarded by external agencies for research and other activities and is responsible for helping protect intellectual property through patents, copyrights and licensing agreements for start-up companies based on University research.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic environment is core to WVURC's mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Jun 29, 2022
Posting Classification: Research Corporation
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes