Commissioning and Analytics Specialist
Posting Number: req10597
Department: Facilities Mgmt-Utilities
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
The Commissioning and Analytics Specialist is a key member of the Facilities Management Utilities Services team, and is instrumental to the campus goals for energy and water efficiency and sustainability and maximized facility performance. This position is under the direct supervision of the Campus Energy Manager and the general direction of the Director of Utility Services.
The Commissioning and Analytics Specialist will be directly involved and responsible for monitoring and response to the campus Fault Detection and Diagnostics and Energy Information Systems, performance and oversight of building energy auditing, performance or participation in building commissioning and retro-commissioning, systems test and balance, building energy auditing, fault detection and diagnostics, energy information systems and control system programming and maintenance on campus.
The Commissioning and Analytics Specialist must be both technically proficient in the areas of energy management, commissioning and building automation. Additionally, they must be an effective and professional communicator with various stakeholders who is able to foster relationships that allow for collaborative problem solving and process improvement.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
and Fault Detection response:
- Monitors the third-party Automatic Fault Detection and Diagnostics (AFDD) system and helps manage the integration of the AFDD with building automation systems, including coordination and communication between UArizona stakeholders and third-party vendor support team.
- Uses AFDD diagnostics to identify and prioritize performance issues and efficiency opportunities.
- Performs investigation and troubleshooting of AFDD issues or generates service tickets for appropriate shops to address.
- Proposes, plans and executes retro-commissioning of campus buildings as self-performed projects or by management of outside vendors, as appropriate.
- Self-performs commissioning, data collection, and equipment testing as part of retro-commissioning for air and water systems.
- Coordinates with FM shops and/or outside consultants as appropriate to analyze buildings and operations for optimum utilization of HVAC, electrical, lighting and control systems.
Energy Auditing and Energy Management:
- Monitors and helps manage energy information systems and data, including coordination between FM shops and third-party vendors.
- Performs regular reviews of campus building performance and proposes prioritization of energy auditing and retro-commissioning initiatives.
- Plans and executes building energy audits using established industry standards, including design review, site investigations, data collection and analysis, and reporting.
- Manages energy audit projects by outside consultants as required.
- Develops proposals of energy efficiency and water efficiency measures for approval and execution.
- Works with FM shops and outside contractors to perform corrective actions.
Construction Related Commissioning:
- Serves as Commissioning Specialist for FM managed building projects, using industry best practices and department procedures.
- Serves as a representative of Facilities Management for commissioning review of capital projects under University Planning Design and Construction (PD&C) department.
- Reviews capital project design packages as provided by PD&C and generates response review comments as pertains to mechanical, electrical, plumbing and automation systems, and overall building performance.
- Participates in walkthroughs of ongoing capital projects as FM representative with PD&C, design/construction contractors and commissioning service providers.
- Reviews project design packages, submittals, testing and progress reports.
- Participates in periodic project meetings as FM representative.
- Participates as witness to commissioning functional performance testing.
- Participates in Sustainability Action Planning management, review, implementation, and updates.
- Provide documentation for Facility Condition Assessments.
- Assist with Revolving Fund management and project submission.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience is required.
- Experience in operation, installation, maintenance and repair of HVAC equipment and
- Skill and experience reading and understanding blueprints and schematic plans.
- Experience with creating, reviewing, editing, programming sequence of operations.
- Experience with operating, maintaining and programming digital building management systems.
- Experience with coordinating activities, evaluating data and establishing priorities.
- Ability to drive according to the UniversityFleet Safety Policy.
- Programming experience with Niagara 4 and/or Distech BAS systems.
- Professional certifications in commissioning, energy management and/or controls certifications, such as Certified Energy Manager (CEM), Certified Energy Auditor (CEA), Certified Building Commissioning Professional (CBCP), Certified Commissioning Professional (CCP), Certified Commissioning Authority (CxA), or similar certification.
- Knowledge and experience with pneumatic and digital control systems.
- Experience working in higher education with an understanding of university facilities and the diverse needs of university customers.
- Experience with applying ASHRAE guidelines and standards.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Facilities, Grounds and Infrastructure
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: DOE
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Facilities Mgmt & Services
Facil, Grounds, & Infra
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
520/621-0255 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.