Part Time Assistant Trainer - Hearts of Gold Service Dog Program
WVU Research Corporation is seeking applications for an Assistant Trainer at the Hearts of Gold Service Dog Training Program. The incumbent will provide assistance to the Behavior Analyst (Head Trainer), including participating in the training of service dogs to facilitate the return to work of individuals with disabilities, including mobility impairment and/or psychological disorders. They will support the Behavioral Analyst with direct internal and external client support services, respond to inquiries, and independently resolve matters of low to moderate complexity. Responsibilities require some judgment, resourcefulness, and originality, but diverse guides and precedents are usually available to apply or adopt to the circumstances. Work effort has considerable impact on client services, program and project image, with potential legal liabilities.
At WVU Research Corporation, we strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU Research Corporation offers a comprehensive benefits package with a variety of options to suit your needs.:* 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
* 403(b) retirement savings with a fully vested 3% employee contribution match, (Employees have the option of contributing an additional 1-3% of their earnings to the plan, which is also matched by the WVURC)
* A range of health insurance and various other benefits
* Dependent Education Scholarship
* WVU Perks
* And More!!
What you'll do:
* Oversight of the Service Dog Training Lab located within the Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Design and the Hearts of Gold Training Facility.
* Oversight of student trainers enrolled in AVS 276, AVS 277, AVS 476, AVS 491 and PSYC 491.
* Oversight of community fosters.
* Supervise interns, clinicians in training, and other counselors.
* Assist the Behavior Analyst (Head Trainer) in the design and implementation of service dog training.
* Assist the Behavior Analyst (Head Trainer) in the design and implementation of behavioral treatments that reduce behavior problems.
* Assist the Behavior Analyst (Head Trainer) in the certification of trainers and volunteers.
* Participate in re-certification of individuals and dogs after placement.
* Document patient information including session notes, progress notes, recommendations, and treatment plans.
* As directed by the Behavior Analyst (Head Trainer), work with individuals, groups, and/or families to help them understand problems, deal with crisis situations, define goals, and develop realistic action plans.
* As directed by the Behavior Analyst (Head Trainer), work with other professionals, agencies, or universities to discuss therapies, treatments, counseling resources or techniques, and to share occupational information.
* Assists in relocation/new placement of dogs when necessary.
* Responsible for coordinating the daily care and veterinary care of the service dogs in the program.
* Assist in the maintenance of the training facility.
- Bachelor's degree in behavior-related field or an equivalent combination of experience and education, including military or police work with trained dogs.
- Two (2) Years' Experience in the following areas:
- Documented experience in dog training methods as it relates to behavior modification.
- Teaching experience related to service dog training preferred.
- Previous experience in working with individuals with disabilities and/or veterans
- Proficient in behavioral training methods consistent with ADI specifications.
- Understands ADA regulations/requirements related to public access of service dogs.
- Has own transportation and the ability to transport dogs safely in vehicle.
- Willing to work a varied schedule with some weekend work.
- Individual housing must require multiple service dogs in the home.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of Applied Behavior Analysis. This includes general behavioral assessment and Ethical Standards in Behavior Analysis.
- Knowledge of supervision standardized requirements for BCBA and BCABA candidates.
- Knowledge of the principles, methods and procedures for training dogs to perform specific work tasks.
- Ability to interpret Federal laws, regulations, and administrative codes.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Deductive ability with analytical thinking and creative problem-solving skills.
- Interviewing skills.
- Excellent communication skills written and verbal.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and awareness of cultural and political issues pertaining to various populations and to various disabilities.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
Valid driver's license
About Research Corporation
The WVURC was created as a not-for-profit corporation in 1985 to support research (R1) at West Virginia University. We provide evaluation, development, patenting, management, and marketing services for inventions of the faculty, staff, and students at the University.
The WVURC receives and administers funds awarded by external agencies for research and other activities and is responsible for helping protect intellectual property through patents, copyrights and licensing agreements for start-up companies based on university research.
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Jun 16, 2022
Posting Classification: Research Corporation
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: No