Senior Academic Advisor, College of Human Sciences and Humanities (2 Vacancies)
The Senior Academic Advisor for the College of Human Sciences and Humanities (HSH) is responsible for advising and managing a caseload of students in a particular college. Evaluates student academic history and creates accurate degree plans that lead to timely graduation. Provides academic advising support to students from admissions to graduation. May supervise non-professional office staff.
- Advises prospective and current students on academic requirements, course selection, and University policies and procedures.
- Analyzes and processes degree plans, petitions, graduation applications and other academic processes.
- Coordinates the available technology at the school level to manage and monitor assigned student caseload.
- Advises students who are not in good standing, including providing retention services for students on probation, analyzes and processes requests for readmission from academic suspension, and financial aid appeals.
- Supports orientation programming and prospective students events as needed.
- Makes student referrals to and seeks shared input from other relevant UHCL resources.
- Independently coordinates and manages one or more programs or processes related to academic advising at the college or departmental level as assigned.
- Consults with college administration and faculty about changes in Graduate program requirements and contributes to conversations about Graduate program development and growth. Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree.
- At least three years of academic advising experience in a higher education setting.
- Knowledge of various approaches in academic advising.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as strong critical thinking and listening skills.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and handle numerous tasks with frequent interruptions with a strong attention to detail.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills.
- Ability to assimilate large amounts of information, recall that information as well as the ability to understand and interpret policies and procedures.
Engagement in professional academic advising professional organizations.
Full-time position with benefits. Background check required. To apply, please complete the online application and attach a resume and a cover letter. Applications without the required documents will be considered incomplete and disqualified.