Position: Instructional Designer
Direct Report: Director of Online Learning
Holy Apostles College and Seminary is a mission-focused and primarily online institution committed to providing an affordable, flexible and faithful Catholic education through undergraduate, graduate and seminary programs. Located in Cromwell, Connecticut the Institution is looking to immediately fill a full-time, onsite position. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Jennifer Arel at email@example.com
Working collaboratively with the Director of Online Learning, this position provides course development services to assist faculty in creating engaging and dynamic online courses while continually adopting emerging online learning best practices. Instructional Designer will work closely with Program Director and Department Chairs to make recommendations to increase the use of multimedia and collaborative activities, alternative forms of content, and developing strategies to increase student engagement among all programs. The role also includes updating and facilitating the training course required for all new online faculty. As part of the Office of Online Learning, the Instructional Designer would also be tasked with responding to student email queries, academic accommodation compliance, and Populi, Google and other technical assistance needs. He or she will support the mission of Holy Apostles College & Seminary and contribute to the overall success of the Institution-wide planning with a strong emphasis on student enrollment, student learning, achievements, and student satisfactions both curricular and extra-curricular and will accomplish this through a respectful, constructive, and energetic style, guided by the Charism and Mission of the College and Seminary and the Society of the Missionaries of the Holy Apostles.
Primary Areas of Responsibility:
- Work collaboratively with the Director, Program Directors, Department Chairs, faculty, and technology staff through the online course development process, from initial brainstorming stages, such as recommending technology tools to final implementation of tools in various platforms.
- Provide thorough course quality assurance reviews ensuring that courses are built according to standard design principles and guidelines.
- Identify, assess, test, deploy, and support instructional technologies when applicable.
- Recommend process improvements for course design projects.
- Report regularly to the Director of Online Learning on the progress of course development projects.
- Aid in the development of video and text-based tutorials to assist students and faculty in using adaptive technology.
- Develop and establish effective working relationships with students, staff and faculty.
- Maintain current knowledge of best practices in education, instructional technology and learning analytics.
- Assists the Director of Online Learning in registration, student support, technical help-desk, and digitization.
- Perform other duties or tasks assigned
- Bachelor’s required, Master’s preferred
- Studies in Instructional Design, Education, Learning Analytics or a related field preferred
- Online Learning Consortium (OLC) Certificate in Instructional Design
- Experience working in higher education preferred
- Work with curriculum, design, delivery in educational or professional environments
- Must adhere to Holy Apostles’ policies and procedures and be willing to complete all necessary training
- Ability to fluidly work between multiple software platforms including Google, MS Office Suite and a variety of educational software products. Candidate must be detail-oriented, possess strong analytical and problem solving skills, and excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Must have the desire to continuously learn, adopt and evolve with emerging best practices in both higher education and online learning. Candidate should be open to working in a growing, vibrant and mission-driven institution.